Planet X pro carbon or RT-58

jamin100
jamin100 Posts: 72
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
When I first started cycling I brought a Boardman CX team. I brought this mainly for commuting 20 miles to work and back. have upgraded it a bit and got GP4000s 25c road tyres on.

Circumstances have now changed and Im working a lot nearer to home (2 miles) and am finding that I'm going out on longer (up to 60 miles) at the weekend.

Im thinking about getting a proper road bike, firstly as I want something with a larger cassette to help up the hills and something a bit lighter.

The CX team comes in roughly at 10.5KG..

Im eying up either a Planet X RT-85 Tiagra (alloy) £650
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58AL ... -road-bike

Or Planet X Pro Carbon SRAM Rival £1000
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPRIV ... -road-bike

So, i guess my question is, will i notice a massive difference with either of the 2 bikes over my CX team

Out of the 2, is the carbon worth the extra £350?

Thanks!

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Something lighter would be nice, but if you've a standard CX Team you may struggle to get a larger cassette as the CX Team should have an 11-32 cassette and WiFli Apex rear derailleur.

The £350 is not only giving you carbon - which is a nice upgrade over alloy, it is giving you a better groupset Sram Rival instead of Tiagra. Also The Pro and RT-58 are different bikes for different purposes, you may find the Pro is the more racey model and the RT-58 more an endurance model if that's important to you may wish to factor that in.
  • jamin100
    Thanks for the reply. The casette in the boardman is a 12-25 (i think)
  • simonj
    Presume that was changed before you got it (or they may have changed spec mid model - the newer ones had 11-32) and you don't have the original 11-32 to put back? If you have the longer Apex rear derailleur already an 11-32 would only be £35 or an 11-28 tiagra only £15 if your cage is standard. I guess it's not just the cassette anyway as you want a nice new lighter bike and something more road orientated would also be good. If it were me, to make a significant jump up from what you have I'd be looking at carbon.
  • jamin100
    Thanks

Is it a significant jump then? Will I notice the 2kg weight difference ?
    Sorry for the stupid questions. The boardman cx was my first proper bike
  • simonj
    Yes the CX is ok as a do everything (I have 2 in my garage - mine and my mates) but it's a little heavy and not particularly agile - i do love it for mixed rides. A jump to carbon and a more road or racey geometry may feel better to you. I'd suggest you go and try a few bikes first before jumping in to get a feel for what you like, work out if your flexible and want an out rice race bike or if your not so flexible or get bad back/shoulders on longer rides and want a more endurance bike.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    The latest Pro Carbon - Rival has the WiFli derailleur as standard so for easier gearing this would be your best option IMO. Very good bikes BTW.
  • jamin100
    WiFli ????
    I've heard of wifi but that ones new on me lol
  • simonj
    Longer cage on rear derailleur, so rather than being limited to 11-28 cassette you can go for a MTB type 11-32 cassette.