Shed/workshop ideas

PIKEO
PIKEO Posts: 82
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hi all, now that I have two 29er hard tails that are too big for my existing 3x6 shed I need a lot bigger storage for them both and maybe somewhere to carry out maintenance when needed. I'm planning on building my own shed maybe 8x6 with double doors and tall enough for me and others to stand in. I just want to hear and maybe see if willing, how you have your bike stored and where you carry out your maintenance. :D

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I keep mine in the dining room (have a large eat in kitchen so it's a useless room) and if it's too cold or rainy to work on them outside I do it in the lounge on the coffee table.
    Being divorced is a bitch. (Lady dog)(Bloody censor)
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I have an 8x8 shed with a rack for 5 bikes, all the helmets, shoes are hung off hooks in bags, shelfs at the back for spares, tyres are stacked into the apex of the roof, small bench for minor maintenance and storage, I use a old turbo as a stand for the basic stuff but for anything major I have a large workshop with a proper stand and full size benches etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    http://m.wikihow.com/Dig-Out-a-Basement ... ting-House

This is what you need. More secure than a shed.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a large shed and a small shed I use for storing the bikes and bits, working on them is done either on the lawn, the patio, or in the utility depending on the job and what the weather is like.

Unless you have nothing else in there an 8x6 shed isn't going to be big enough to work in comfortably.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My shed is 18x8 and its still too small I need something like this

bp312000.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    stubs wrote:
    My shed is 18x8 and its still too small I need something like this

bp312000.jpg

You need an old man?
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    You need an old man?

He could probably show you a thing or two...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • PIKEO
    Class replies, thanks for your imput, will be taken some of your advice on your takes and will let you know what my plans are, cheers
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I have no idea how big my shed is but I would guess around the size you're talking about. Here's what I did with mine:

p4pb10534459.jpg
    p4pb10534449.jpg
    p4pb10534472.jpg

I did keep 4 bikes in there (3 MTB's and a road bike) but now just 3 since I broke the Kinesis. Those pictures are a bit old and I have some small drawers on the back wall now and I've tidied up all the tyres so I have space under the bench now for other stuff. My dad used to use it as an office so it's fully insulated with an electrical supply.

Basically I've got a row of shelves along one wall with the work stand next to it (used to have it against the other wall but since I got a Feedback stand with a leg that extents back I've put it against the shelves), a kitchen top along the the back for a work bench and a couple of hooks on the wall. Keeping it in good order is the best way to have enough space.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I suspended one of my bikes on the wall - about 1m up - made a lot of difference.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • PIKEO
    peter413 wrote:
    I have no idea how big my shed is but I would guess around the size you're talking about. Here's what I did with mine:

p4pb10534459.jpg
    p4pb10534449.jpg
    p4pb10534472.jpg

I did keep 4 bikes in there (3 MTB's and a road bike) but now just 3 since I broke the Kinesis. Those pictures are a bit old and I have some small drawers on the back wall now and I've tidied up all the tyres so I have space under the bench now for other stuff. My dad used to use it as an office so it's fully insulated with an electrical supply.

Basically I've got a row of shelves along one wall with the work stand next to it (used to have it against the other wall but since I got a Feedback stand with a leg that extents back I've put it against the shelves), a kitchen top along the the back for a work bench and a couple of hooks on the wall. Keeping it in good order is the best way to have enough space.

Can I just say wow! that is spot on and if I can get somewhere near as the way its layered out then I will be happy. Thanks Peter, looks great and will have to take some inspiration from your pics if ya don't mind
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    peter413 wrote:

p4pb10534459.jpg
    p4pb10534449.jpg
    p4pb10534472.jpg

Looks really good but I feel strangely un-nerved by the way the posts aren't cut an an angle to be flush to the ceiling.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I dont think they are supporting the ceiling.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,008
    That isn't the point...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that's how tall the shelves are so couldn't be cut flush :wink: But honestly, you're complaining that some bits of wood aren't cut flush?! Surprised you didn't complain the cables for the lights aren't the exact length and fixed to the wall or the fact the walls and doors are different colours :roll: .
  • YIMan
    Couldn't you have cut some wedges to fit in?

:D
  • YIMan
    peter413 wrote:
    Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that's how tall the shelves are so couldn't be cut flush :wink: But honestly, you're complaining that some bits of wood aren't cut flush?! Surprised you didn't complain the cables for the lights aren't the exact length and fixed to the wall or the fact the walls and doors are different colours :roll: .

Or I could go on the Internet and complain about people "complaining" that some bits of wood aren't flush........