XC32 servicing coil version

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
HI all,
I am trying to find a service manual for RS xc32 tk forks (coil version) and the only ones available on the sram site are for the solo air version does anyone know where to source one or perhaps a manual for a similar fork just to get the general idea.
I also want to check if there are any travel limiting spacers in there to remove and get a bit more travel out of them as they are only 80mm at the moment.
Cheers

Comments

• bailsofhay
    Just found this but can anyone confirm the steps for servicing an XC32 coil TK is similar to the steps for tora/ recon silver coil TK? I have heard they are similar.
    http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/2011-tora-technical-manual.pdf
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The xc32 is basically a Tora so servicing is the same.
  • bailsofhay
    Cheers for that, If I do find travel limiting spacers in there how easy are they to remove? Will I need any special tools? I can't seem to locate any info on the removal/ installation of travel spacers and I would kinda like to know what I am getting into before I crack them open.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You will need circlip pliers. Spacers are easy to remove. It's unlikely you will find any if the forks came with the bike.
  • bailsofhay
    They were aftermarket so I am hoping they came with spacers in there as they are only 80mm.
  • bailsofhay
    Right there were no spacers in there and I really want to increase my travel to 100mm. I could only source a 120mm spring assembly which fits my weight so could I put some travel reducing spacers on there to reduce it down to 100mm? I can't find any pics or diagrams of where they should be installed so if anyone has any I would be most appreciative.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Are you sure the stanchions are long enough? The rebound damper could be different as well.
    There is a service manual on the SRAM website, you might have to use the Tora manual as the XC32 is basically a re-badged Tora.
    There's not going to be a dramatic change in the way your bike rides when its changed to 100mm travel, the geometry has been designed to work best with 80mm forks.
  • bailsofhay
    From what I have read the xc32s all have the same uppers and they come as 120mm, 100mm, and 80mm so the stanchions shouldn't be a problem. The only replacement dampers I could find were labeled as 80/100/120 so I am hoping this is what is already installed and it should also be OK. I have had 100mm forks on the bike before and they were great it didn't mess with the geometry much at all. 120mm may be a bit much but considering the LH spring assembly costs less than £20 I thought it may be worth a try if I can put some spacers in to limit it to 100mm.