How Easy to Fit New Disc Brakes?

BobbyTrigger
BobbyTrigger Posts: 377
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
morning

how easy is it to fit a new set of disc brakes including rotors? Bearing in mind that I've done very little work on my bikes, with the most complex work being bleeding the brakes.

The set on my GT are goosed so its time to replace. Is it particularly tricky or just a case of lining up the rotor with the caliper? Is there anything i need to be aware of? anything to trip me up?

or should i stick it in the LBS to do?

I know it sounds daft but how difficult is it to get my handlebar grips off and will they go back on (i'd like to keep them if possible).

thanks in advance.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Easy, bolt them on, providing the rotors are the same size and the fitting is the same (IS or post) - but you might (probably) need to shorten the hoses.

Grips - who knows - just get some lock ons then problem solved in future.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,672
    Grips - off with long slim screwdriver or similar under the rubber with some washing up liquid and water. Work it in and they'll slide off.

Grips - on with cheap hairspray as lube. (Prefer wife's expensive Elnette ;-) shhhhhh!) and they'll slide on easy and stick well after spray has dried.

When tightening rotor bolts make sure you do it slowly, gently, evenly going from one bolt to the one opposite and so on and not circular by tightening neighbouring bolts if you see what I mean.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Bleeding brakes is one of the most 'complex' bike maintenance jobs so you should be fine
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • BobbyTrigger
    the rotors come with the calipers etc so fit wise should be fine. i guess what worries me is lining up the rotor in the caliper.

i guess i'll need to buy some cable ties - anything else?
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    just keep the caliper loose on the mounts, pull the brake lever then gently tighten the caliper - this usually centralises it
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • BobbyTrigger
    cracking cheers felix
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    Do you need to change your rotors? What is the problem with them or are you getting a different size?
  • BobbyTrigger
    the new calipers are a different brand to the existing rotors so i thought best to change the lot?
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    you don't have to but they are cheap enough so why not.
  • cooldad
    Or why? Won't make any difference.
    You could spend the money on beer.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    Or why? Won't make any difference.
    You could spend the money on beer.

not true but I take it everything on your bike was only replaced when it wore out then I take it?
  • cooldad
    Pretty much. But I repeat, matching the name on the rotor to the name on the callipers will make no difference, unless the rotors are well worn, or some stupidly lacy version.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools