Carbon or Titanium

badseed
badseed Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
I already have a Lynskey Sportive which was my only bike for some years. Last year I bought a carbon Madone. I have become addicted to the stiff, punchy and aggressive ride of the Madone. The Sportive now feels lazy and unresponsive by comparison. I am dreading another winter on the Lynskey.

I am considering buying a Propel and then using the Madone in the winter with some Race Blades. The other option is to swap the Sportive frame for the Helix OS.

OR should I just ride carbon?

Somebody please influence me.

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    It's not just down to the material, it's the particular bikes you have, some carbon bikes feel dull and unresponsive compared to others too. Just saying.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    badseed wrote:

Get the Propel.

Seriously, what level Madone is it? I don't know them very well but I understand the range goes from pretty basic to top level. If it's a top level frame you might find that the Propel isn't that much different, but if you are just looking for a second bike anyway for winter that might be the idea.

It's true that the geometry and design are more important than the material, but materials also impose limits. I'm going to guess from a combination of a few reviews I've read and some experience with Ti bikes that the Helix OS might be quite lively for a Ti bike, but perhaps achieves that by also being a bit brutally stiff in a dead kind of way. I could be completely wrong, as I say, just a guess. Despite the thinking that Ti is durable and thus a good idea for a winter bike, carbon is also fine for this purpose as long as you are not worried about cosmetic damage.

Also, if you are going to spend a lot of money it's nicer to do it on a best bike rather than a winter bike.

So get the Propel. :wink:
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    I think the new models are almost ready from bike manifactures.Just wait Tour to start,cause Trek has something new,but they are keeping it quite secret.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Some Ti bike can feel dull too not just carbon. Carbon frames are often more aerodynamic than Ti frames which maybe something to consider after all a frame can make as much difference (if not more) to your overal drag than wheels can.

You buy a Ti bike becuase you want Ti and then I would bespoke with Burls. For carbon there is more choice than you can shake a stick at so buying one the right size is paramount and you selction process can start there.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • badseed
    badseed Posts: 4
    neeb wrote:
    badseed wrote:

Get the Propel.

Seriously, what level Madone is it? I don't know them very well but I understand the range goes from pretty basic to top level. If it's a top level frame you might find that the Propel isn't that much different, but if you are just looking for a second bike anyway for winter that might be the idea.

It's true that the geometry and design are more important than the material, but materials also impose limits. I'm going to guess from a combination of a few reviews I've read and some experience with Ti bikes that the Helix OS might be quite lively for a Ti bike, but perhaps achieves that by also being a bit brutally stiff in a dead kind of way. I could be completely wrong, as I say, just a guess. Despite the thinking that Ti is durable and thus a good idea for a winter bike, carbon is also fine for this purpose as long as you are not worried about cosmetic damage.

Also, if you are going to spend a lot of money it's nicer to do it on a best bike rather than a winter bike.

So get the Propel. :wink:

Interesting perspective. My Madone is a 2013, 4.7. The Propel I'm looking at is the Giant Propel Advanced 2. Here: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    In that colour scheme..? Well, that's a personal thing if course... :wink:

The geometry's a little different from the Madone. Make sure it fits and get a test ride!
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    I have ridden all of the materials and good quality TI is untouchable for general riding. I personally think that carbon bikes are ok for racers and TT riders. Good quality TI builders can dial the frame build to whatever you need the bike for. I know the carbon brigade will talk about stiffness and weight, but this is only relevant if you race (IMHO). Having said that, top TI frames are very expensive but I think you get better value out of a custom made TI frame. I have recently ordered a custom made Seven frame and the options are incredible in terms of the build and design of the frame. I don't remember having that much choice with my Carbon Condor Leggero (although this is a nice frame and a very nice ride). Pros ride carbon as this is best for their job, and they get the bikes replaced whenever they break. I think it really depends on your type of riding and whether you are going to race. I personally think that a high quality TI or steel frame, along with a good quality fork and wheels would be the way to go. Also, my most expensive bike is the winter bike as I spend around 8 months of the year on that. Carbon in the winter - not for me.
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Give me carbon all the way,Ti and steel are just for Rapha posers.
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    Clearly from someone that wants to be a pro!!! I bet you also have a Powertap as well!!!! I take it you have ridden steel and TI?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    My one experience of ti left me thoroughly underwhelmed it was an Enigma Esprit, which I'd expected to love, but it just felt a little dull. Comfy, but dull. My first experience of carbon, however, was quite different. It was my CR1 SL and it just felt so alive and responsive.

All of that said, if I'm thinking about my dream bike, it would almost certainly be high end steel.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Give me carbon all the way,Ti and steel are just for Rapha posers.

I've got a carbon and steel bike and no Rapha. Now I'm confused.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    Animal72 wrote:
    I've got a carbon and steel bike and no Rapha. Now I'm confused.

You're confused? - I have a Powertap on my Ti bike - I'm all conflicted! :lol:

(I also have a carbon bike and have been known to wear Rapha)