Gazelle Formula - front mech size, anyone know?

n3crophile
n3crophile Posts: 52
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Having a bit of trouble measuring the seat tube with a stiff tape measure. 85% certain it's 31.8 but then I close my other eye and it looks like 28.6. Not really a big issue as can take it to a shop and try the sizes out but would be great if anyone know! Muchos thanks!

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    If it's the Formula Race it should be Reynolds 525 tubing and the seatpost is 27.0mm
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    That's doe not help. 28.6mm is liekly but these questions would not even need to be asked if you just went out and bought a vernier cailper. IT is probably the most useful tool you can ever buy as it means you can measure and then know what front mech band, headset e.t.c you will need. so many bike standards now so a vernier is essential if you want to work on bikes. If you don't want to buy one don't work on bikes and take it to an LBS simples.

To do the job you need the correct tools, not point in guessing or even trusting other's memory - measure and know!!!!
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • n3crophile
    Cheers, it's difficult to account for tools when one's budget is filled by the actual parts. So was just asking before I get it measured precisely, in case anyone knew for certain. Trying to find the seat tube size of a Gazelle on google is surprisingly hard. Wow, I had no idea how cheap these calipers are on ebay.
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    Measure the circumference and do some maths?
  • n3crophile
    28.6 it turns out!

There's nothing wrong with positing a question such as this whilst consumed by other work in the dual aim of enlisting help from more experienced members of the cycling community and enjoying a little escape from work, so that by the time it comes to freedom from one's additional preoccupations, and subsequent focus upon the bicycle project, you have achieved a tad more insight upon which you will build either way.

That is what a forum is for - imagine if health clinics turned you away for not first checking at home on your radioscopy machine.