Buying Advice - Help appreciated

concordi
concordi Posts: 16
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Having rode a carrera virtuoso into the ground over the last 5 years I feel I'm due an upgrade! I'm looking to get a new bike which will be used mainly for my daily commute (8 miles each way), but on weekends for rides in the peak district as well as light touring. None of the guys I go cycling with are massive athletes but do tend to have road bikes so I'm keen not to be left absolutely in their dust. The bike needs to have full mudguards and a rear rack mounted. I can pay around a grand, but my work makes us get CTW from Evans so limited to them. I've been suggested the Genesis Croix de Fer (swapping in skinnier tyres) (Currently 1150) and the Jamis Quest Elite as options (Currently on sale 900, from 1200) as options. My thought is that in a couple of years if I can justify it I'll buy myself a pure for fun road bike sperately, but for now I'm limited to one bike. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Many thanks.

Comments

• jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Some sort of Audax bike that Evans will sell you. Personally I think the bike2work scheme is over-rated.

How about http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... b0s21p2827
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Both recommendations are decent shouts for your stated purpose although if you're planning on getting a "good bike" in the future anyway you might as well move away from a road type bike now (the jamis) and towards a more all weather, disc brake, CX type bike (genesis). Otherwise you'll end up with two road bikes, one being slightly better than the other which is a bit pointless.

The Pinnacle Arkose 3 is another decent option and if you can get away from Evans the Planet X Kaffenback is excellent value.
  • concordi
    That is a rather nice looking bike. How does the SRAM apex compare with say what level of shimano groupsets? (As I'm more familiar with them). I'm not attached to cycle to work, I've just calculated that it will save about a quarter of the price. If there is better value in just buying outright I'm also up for doing that. Finally how does a Reynolds 725 frame compare with 631?

Many thanks for your help.
  • godders1
    Never used SRAM but sure it's perfectly decent. Apex is loosely equivalent to Shimano Tiagra/Campagnolo veloce. That level of groupset might be toward the lower end of the range but these days it's all excellent kit really.

Very little difference that you'd notice between the two types of Reynolds steel, 725 is a bit stronger than 631 meaning thinner walls and so marginally lighter. Wouldn't likely be the deciding factor for me though.
  • concordi
    Once again thanks for the help. I guess the question I need to ask myself is, is buying a "good bike" for the road in a couple of years more a pipe dream as finances ware me down or a genuine plan?

The other question I have is related to winter commuting. This winter I've been reliant on the carrera virtuoso with 25mm gator skins and mud guards, however there has been no snow this year (and after a couple of falls, if it was below 1 degree, I got the bus). This winter the bus won't be an option as work location is changing. Would fitting 32mm tyres (or 28mm for that matter) make the ride safer while commuting on the road? (As from my understanding, audax bikes mostly absolutely max out at 28mm if you want to fit mudguards).
  • godders1
    If I could only have one bike I'd be fine with my Kaffenback (an 11kg CX type bike much like the genesis you're considering). They're still good fun bikes to ride.

A wider tyre will provide marginally more grip but compound used has more of an effect on traction (e.g. based on experience I would rather use a 25mm conti gp 4 seasons than a 35mm schwlbe marathon plus). Inflating at the lower end of the recommended range also increases traction but increases the chance of pinch flats (although if you stay within the recommended range the risk should be small). After using quite a few different tyres and sizes over the years I now have the above mentioned continental tyres in size 28mm on my winter bike.

This is in the wet, the only thing that will help you on ice is studded tyres.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    If you're considering a CX bike can you get studded tyres for them? Would you want to? Can't see how they're any good on mixed tarmac, ice and perhaps just wet tarmac.
    I wanted the arkose but finances meant I chickened out of spending more of my savings than I have spare. Went for something hybrid style and reduced from £700+ down to £430.
    One thing, c2w schemes generally limit to £1000 unless your employer spends money to register as a financial lender or that was the gist of it 2 years ago when I considered it. You don't save as much as the schemes make out and you're tied into it for at least a year if you buy out or 4+ years if you go and extend it through one of the extension schemes out there. That 1k limit means the Croix de Fer is too expensive now. When I considered c2w it was £999. Perhaps the cheaper CdF bike. Similar but cheaper components which can be replaced later to suit. Similar frame to its big brother. Thought about going somewhere offering interest free credit? There's a few options out there and you spread the cost over a year or longer. £1200 Croix de Fer at £100 a month or £50 over 2 years if that's poss. One shop I know you would pay up £120 =10% of price. Then leaves 12 payments of £90 I think.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    I'm going for the Fuji sportif 1.1 compact. Just been reduced to 820 at Evans. Will suit your needs
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • concordi
    The bloke in Evans said that you can get bike's worth more than £1000, you just order a bike worth a grand, bring int he voucher for that value, then pay the excess in cash. I'll have to have a look in to the further details. I've found a store (Epic cycles) offering the Croix de fer for 1050, which Evans should price match (though not sure if they will, and do CTW without a fee). Or was he talking cack?

Also would the Fuji take a rear rack? I must say I do like the look of the steel frames more, but aesthetics aren't the most important really!
  • I've got a 2012 Croix de Fer. Apaprt from some weight, it's a pleasure to ride. For winter, with a bit of care and the right mudguards, you can get 35mm studded tyres on them, which will keep you upright in almost anything (except deep snow).

It's really confortable, and you can use it off road.
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    The Fuji will take a rack and mud guards. Plus It's a slightly higher front end so more comfortable whilst commuting
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed