New Bike Build - Wheels adavice

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
As stated, i'm building a new bike. I'm pretty much decided on a 29'er carbon hardtail frame from Canyon, which i can pick up for under 900 pound and weighs 1017g, i think?

I'm also decided on bar, stem, seatpost, saddle etc.

I'm a bit stuck on which wheelset to go for? I believe Shimano are about to release it's new xtr line up, the 9000 or whatever it's called, so i'll be considering those when i can read a few reviews. I'll be almost certainly doing the same for the other componenty, gears, brakes and shifters etc.

In the meantime, there's other wheelsets to be considered. I can get the latest 2014 Mavic Crossmax SLR's new for 650 pound. Previous versions don't have a great reputation though from what i can tell. Does anyone have any information or experience of the 2014 offerings? Have past issues been sorted?

There's also lots of good deals about on Easton wheelsets. As pretty much everyone is aware, Easton MTB wheelsets have had a bad reputation of recent years, mainly for bearing an freehub issues. According to Easton, wheels that left there factory after Feb 2013, would be free of these issues. The latest 2014 hub ends in a 3, instead of the 0 or 1. Does anyone have information or experience with Easton wheelsets, either from 2013 or 2014 editions who can verify that Easton wheelsets are now safe to buy?

I'm after a full UST rim, and i'm not really interested in Tubeless Ready rims. Could'nt be bothered with tape. So any suggestions or thoughts for UST wheelsets, including the ones mentioned above would be helpfull.

Thanks!