'V' brake Pads on Road Brake

mr_eddy
mr_eddy Posts: 830
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hopefully someone can help me - I am building up a fixed gear from a Track Frame I have and have a brake question.

Being a track frame it has no brake bosses on the rear - This is fine as its fixed so essentially my legs are the brakes at the back anyway. I have fitted a Cro-Mo steel straight blade road fork on the front and have a Shimano Sora Dual Pivot brake mounted to the brake boss on the fork which is fine however the only pads I have for that brake are the ones that came with the Sora brake and they are fairly worn.

I was going to by a new set of decent pads maybe some Ultegra pads or something but then I thought of an idea - Could I use the spare pads I have for my mountain bike on the road caliper ? I have a brand new set of XTR 'V' Brake pads good to go and I have physically checked and they fit and line up fine.

Will having these larger pads cause any excess stress on either the wheels or the brake etc ? The wheels are 36 spoke 50mm double wall clinchers so I doubt strength will be a issue.

Just wondering - Seems a shame to not use these very expensive pads - Also I am thinking the extra pad material would offer better performance.

Thoughts ?

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    I'm going to say no, go for it!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    Ok might give it a go then go for a tentative blast round the park and see what's what. Still interested in hearing from anyone who may have tried this in the past.

Thanks
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have Mini Vees used on my CX bike that uses longer Vee-brake pads - never been an issue.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..