Elbow Pads

olovelock
olovelock Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hey Folks,

Im just in the process of getting some new elbow pads and need some advice about sizing.
So I have been trying on the Race Face Ambush, POC VPD 2.0 and the TLD pads.
When i try on the pads they all seem a bit tight and tend to nip a little on the inner elbow when I bend my arms. The next size up feels a little loose in places. Ive read enough reviews of different pads that say 'put them on and you forget they are there' which these don't feel like at the moment.
Im not used to wearing elbow pads so it feels a bit strange so I am putting the tightness down to that at the moment but any advice around how they should feel would be welcome.

Tight is good as I wont want them to slip.... but when is tight too tight? (so far blood is still flowing to my hands so i haven't cut off any circulation!).

Also any recommendations around best pads would be great.... All Mountain / Enduro type riding with a bit of downhill now and then.

Cheers
Owen

Comments

• Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I have been looking for a similar thing and so far haven't found what i want, the ones I've tried in the shop seem too bulky and for the light weight ones I don't conform to the on-line sizing so haven't oded any off the net.

However, I've just got hold of some trail-skins knee pads from Dainese, I haven't got to try them on the bike as I am injured but testing around the house they seem really good. they do elbow pads too so I may try them.
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    I got some dainese trail skins and whilst they were light weight and comfy when I bent my arm the pad just stuck out to the sides, it needs more articulation. In the end I sent them back and got some fox launch pro, they fit me a lot better. It all depends on what fits you the best.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Nukeproof Criticals here. Comfy, not too expensive, don't move around and good protection (removable SasTec armour). Well worth a look, IMHO.
  • Digging up this post.

I found this : The Review | Twelve Protectors in a grouptest:
    http://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-review-twelve-protectors-in-a-grouptest/

The Bliss minimalist pads are amazingly light 185g pads but comply to the CE EN-1621-1 certification