Bar Tape

PaulC555
PaulC555 Posts: 58
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

I just purchased some new Cinelli bar tape to replace my current white bar tape which is a bit..well a lot dirty....
Just a quick question.......Can I put the new tape over the old one, to give a bit more comfort, or do I need to remove the old tape and apply to a clean bar?????????

thanks
Paul
:D
Moda Tempo
Willier Triestina Lampre Team Version
Planet X XLS 105 CX Bike

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Double wrapping is common enough to add comfort. Depends what you like really.
  • popularname
    popularname Posts: 173
    I double wrapped my touring bike and found it to be slightly *too* chunky. I find the tops are OK, but the drops to be less comfortable. It's very subjective though. I've left it double wrapped and it works fine, I just won't do it again.
    A word of caution on double wrapping, since the diameter of the bars is increased, you may need to really stretch the bar tape as you apply it in order to have sufficient length. Otherwise it should work fine.

Alternatively, take the old tape off, and re-apply half of it to the top part of the bars securing with insulation tape. Then apply the new tape.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • PaulC555
    PaulC555 Posts: 58
    Thanks guys......had a go on my wifes winter bike first.....its quite an art, difficult coming up the drops not to get gaps with the tape not sitting flush.......not sure about doing mine now.....!
    Moda Tempo
    Willier Triestina Lampre Team Version
    Planet X XLS 105 CX Bike
  • ai_1
    PaulC555 wrote:
    Thanks guys......had a go on my wifes winter bike first.....its quite an art, difficult coming up the drops not to get gaps with the tape not sitting flush.......not sure about doing mine now.....!
    It's easy!
    Perhaps it helps to have experience wrapping racquet handles in the past but do it a couple of times and you'll find it a doddle. I only take a while doing it because I'm a bit obsessive about having both sides symmetrical and the overlaps consistent and parallel.
  • The bit that always throws me is when you get to the bar/shifter bit. I've never, ever been happy with my own results here.
  • ai_1
    The bit that always throws me is when you get to the bar/shifter bit. I've never, ever been happy with my own results here.
    You mean taping around the base of the hoods?
    Do you put a separate strip around the back of the steel band first?
  • andrewc3142
    andrewc3142 Posts: 906
    If a job's worth doing, etc. Take off the old stuff, clean any remaining gunk and put on the new tape.

You'll get a much better finish.

If you want more padding (personally I don't want more than Fizik Micro has) buy a more padded tape.
  • Ai_1 wrote:
    The bit that always throws me is when you get to the bar/shifter bit. I've never, ever been happy with my own results here.
    You mean taping around the base of the hoods?
    Do you put a separate strip around the back of the steel band first?

Yes to both. It's usable but not to the standards of my friend/mechanic. But then he's been working on bikes for 30 odd years so knows what he's doing! :lol: