On road and off road bikes?

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,881
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
What on earth is a high adventure mountain trail?

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    ^ What he said.

If you've only got one do-it-all bike it's going to be a compromise, it might be OK on the road and not too bad on trails (think cyclo-cross bike), or better on cross country rides but a not so great on roads (hard tail mountain bike).

How much are you planning to spend, what does an Adventure Mountain Trail look like?
  • If you are not having to tackle overly rough stuff, boulders etc on your High Aventure, then I think you need a Cyclo Cross bike (like a rugged road bike in style)... or if you need to tackle rough stuff, then I would go for a Front Suspension (Hardtail) MTB with 29er wheels, it won't be as efficient on road, but the big wheels will help.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,232
    All the "high adventure mountain trails" I've ridden would probably cripple a road bike.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm looking for a bike that I will mostly use on road for the most of the time, but also capable of going on high adventure mountain trails once in a while. I'm not sure whether to go for an on-road bike or off-road mountain bike. And i seriously don't know the different specs that I would have to look for.track.gif
    Thanks.

The two are not compatible in any way which wouldn't end up seriously compromising the bike in both areas. The only proper solution is two bikes.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Afraid I have to agree with Mark - you're looking for a bike that will cover two types of cycling that are at opposite ends of the spectrum. If you really can't get two bikes, each suited to the two things you want to use them for, then you're probably going to have to get a MTB which will suit the rough stuff and be ok on the road - but then if you're mostly doing on-road riding - is a bike that is only "ok" on the road going to be good enough??
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Depends on how servere your high mountain trail terrain is going to be, as to whether you could get away with a CX bike or you would need an MTB. You need to think about whether you want to use mudguards on & off road, also what distances are you planning to ride on the road and how often?

Most people who come from MTB's have ridden them on the road a bit, before realising that a road bike is so much easier/more efficient for road mileage. Has as already been said you will always be compromised with one bike trying to perform two different functions.
  • markhewitt1978
    Having ridden a MTB on the road it's bloody hard work and not much fun! CX is good because you can put road tyres on and hey-presto you've got a road bike, but there's a limit to the amount of off road they can take, being as they have no suspension.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Quality hard tail with lock out forks AND two sets of wheels/tyres is the only way. A 25lb hard tail with light weight wheels and x1.2" tyres ain't that slow on-road!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cross bike would be good if its cinder track or something similar for off road. If its full on MTB terrain then you'd know you need a proper MTB for it.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    meagain wrote:
    Quality hard tail with lock out forks AND two sets of wheels/tyres is the only way. A 25lb hard tail with light weight wheels and x1.2" tyres ain't that slow on-road!

+1 - but your can get the weight down another couple of lb - especially for the road.

Edit - you could look at fork swapping too, which would still be only a half hour job including swap over the disc caliper.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Having ridden a MTB on the road it's bloody hard work and not much fun! CX is good because you can put road tyres on and hey-presto you've got a road bike, but there's a limit to the amount of off road they can take, being as they have no suspension.

Completely agree, tried my XC mountain bike round one of my normal road routes and it was like dragging an anchor up the hills. If I took my road bike round one my normal off road route it would quickly destroy it. Sounds like the OP needs two bikes, a CX bike would be brutal on a rough rocky off road route.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    meagain wrote:

+1 - when I feel I'm becoming lazy on my road bike, I leave it at home and commute on my MTB. Tyres swapped out for slicks of course.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Sounds like you need a frankenbike.

Take a hard tail frame, add drop bars and a levers and a brake adapter and choose tyres based on what your riding that day.

Something like this:

IMG_20120421_103130.jpg

If the frame can take 2.35mm 26" MTB tyres then it can also take 700c 25mm tyres so get two wheelsets, one for the road and one for the trails.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Wow! Frankenbike, love it. Shame they don't sell them in shops. Can you imagine getting a bike made out of a 29Dr or 650 with light frame, forks, drops and 2 sets of wheels. Perhaps different cassette for each use. All in one, readymade bike kit.
    Wonder if there is a way to make a quick release fork setup. If you had a light 29er frame and the ability to swap from a suspension fork to a more road fork as easily as changing a qr wheel. Modular bike kits for the technically disabled.
    Now it's never going to make an uber light road bike and a hardcore downhill or xc bike but a "one bike does all" type of user isn't going to need those two bikes.

I got a hybrid with front suspension never going to go far or fast on road nor the real rough stuff. It suits my needs. If the op isn't looking for high performance in one of the uses then that can colour his choice. Prefer faster roads over rough, rocky trails then CX bike with tyre choices. If want rough, rocky trails at the expense of speed on road then perhaps a front suspension hybrid or 29er even better. What about a 650? Either with change of tyres and front lockout. Remote hydraulic lockout is neat too.
    All depends on the op's realistic priorities of course. If the op comes back with a clarification on this ppl will help with actual bikes to look at, give budget too.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    2 bikes. Problem solved.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Wow! Frankenbike, love it. Shame they don't sell them in shops. Can you imagine getting a bike made out of a 29Dr or 650 with light frame, forks, drops and 2 sets of wheels. Perhaps different cassette for each use. All in one, readymade bike kit.
    Wonder if there is a way to make a quick release fork setup. If you had a light 29er frame and the ability to swap from a suspension fork to a more road fork as easily as changing a qr wheel. Modular bike kits for the technically disabled.
    Now it's never going to make an uber light road bike and a hardcore downhill or xc bike but a "one bike does all" type of user isn't going to need those two bikes.

I got a hybrid with front suspension never going to go far or fast on road nor the real rough stuff. It suits my needs. If the op isn't looking for high performance in one of the uses then that can colour his choice. Prefer faster roads over rough, rocky trails then CX bike with tyre choices. If want rough, rocky trails at the expense of speed on road then perhaps a front suspension hybrid or 29er even better. What about a 650? Either with change of tyres and front lockout. Remote hydraulic lockout is neat too.
    All depends on the op's realistic priorities of course. If the op comes back with a clarification on this ppl will help with actual bikes to look at, give budget too.

Salsa Fargo?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Singular Peregrine?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    FYI = the OP has not returned to the forum since posting this. Also worth nothing that if you run the username through google, it comes up on a couple of spammer databases. Just sayin...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    I'm looking for a bike that I will mostly use on road for the most of the time, but also capable of going on high adventure mountain trails once in a while. I'm not sure whether to go for an on-road bike or off-road mountain bike. And i seriously don't know the different specs that I would have to look for.track.gif
    Thanks.

:D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • meagain wrote:

+1

Blown two roadies off only this morning on mine!! :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Blown two roadies off only this morning on mine!! :D

Did you swallow?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Blown two roadies off only this morning on mine!! :D

Did you swallow?

No but they did, well, rather "gulped" more like! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • HellsCyclist
    HellsCyclist Posts: 122
    Imposter wrote:
    FYI = the OP has not returned to the forum since posting this. Also worth nothing that if you run the username through google, it comes up on a couple of spammer databases. Just sayin...

Wouldnt have ever occurred to me to try that. Also didnt know there was such a thing as a spammer database. In any case the question is reasonable and the replies potentially useful.
  • markhewitt1978
    There seems to be quite a few at the moment who come on and post a vague question such like, which bike is best, then never return.
  • There seems to be quite a few at the moment who come on and post a vague question such like, which bike is best, then never return.

Yeah, this forum has changed. Not so long ago, just the mention of a road kitted MTB blowing off road bikes would have resulted in a twenty page barrage of frantic denial!!! :twisted: :lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6