Mavic hub advice.

lucieandpaul
lucieandpaul Posts: 267
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Rebuilding an old Trek ex team bike, and replacing all the mixed group set to 105 everything.

It has Mavic Aksium Race wheels, and when i took wheel off the bike, and removed skewer to my surprise the end of the axle also came away.

When removing the cassette to change it to the new one, the free hub/cassette body also simply came away leaving the spring pawls exposed.

I have never got involved in wheels, as always trusted my LBS to do it, but anyone know what is going on?

Basically the part marked with red arrow has come away, leaving the nut and a short shaft/hollow rod and the only thing holding the whole hub together is the skewer....

Even the manual doesn't really explain how it attaches:

http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/te ... es/2_9.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Paul
28btpb8.jpg
www.cree-cottage.co.uk
4 Star 7 Stanes Cyclist Accredited luxury holiday cottage accomodation for cyclists. Self Catering, with the best facilities and with 7 Stanes trails on your doorstep.

Comments

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I serviced my Aksium freehub recently and the part you have indicated in the diagram screwed onto the axle.
    I undid it using a second spanner on the locknut shown on the NDS of the axle.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    not unusual these days for the freehub to simply pull off. my powertap hub does the same - it makes servicing and fitting my disc covers a doddle!

only thing holding it together when out of the bike is slight pressure from the end cap. otherwise it's clamped in the frame so what could possibly go wrong :o