Another mudguards question

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
38mm tyre on a front suspension hybrid (spec crosstrail sport disc) needs full length guards, can sms p45 bluemels or thermoplastic be made to fit?

Evans say rear only get another set of mtb guards for front, that's 2 full sets as we don't split or buy lone ones.
Wheelbase techies say the same but speak to guy over there, he does touring and stuff. Showed him bike, and after he had got over the nice set of tyres (interesting tread pattern I think he said) he told me no problem with full set.
Another big but local indie retailer (local to somewhere 2 hours away) said he'd fit full b ones. Said he loves the challenge of making them fit when no-one else or would even try.

Anyway, who is right? Should i just go to a bike shop that says they fit and hand over the extra £15-20 to get them to do it?

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Some Suntour NEXi forks have a threaded eyelet on the rear face.
    Most have none. Full-length mudguards need a P-clamp or other hack.

Most common hybrids are similar, bolt-on rear, clamp-on front.
    You cannot buy a mudguard set to fit them unless you make do with a clamp-on rear :(
    this is crazy and stupid.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    There are two protrusions sticking out the back of the nexi forks just below halfway point. They have a plastic cap on which I've never taken off.
    Could these be used for the stays?

I'm thinking the top is fixed to the inside top of the fork.

I've got disc brakes, rack and a Burley trailer hitch at the back but guessing that's no problem. Need all of them and a full guard to protect child in the trailer from spray but especially grit or debris. I could live with mtb front but rather not. Too tight to spend on 2 sets of guards. The rear full guard is not a compromise, need it.