Can you please help identify something on my bike?

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Recently I changed the brake calipers on my bike at Evans, and I suspect the guy who did it shortened the cables a little, as he just cut off the excess length on the brake cables flush with the brakes, and not closer to where they fit that brass end thingy...

Anyways, since the brakes upgrade, I keep getting some rattling from my cockpit, ONLY on very poor tarmac, which seems to stop if I stretch while riding, and grab ALL the gear and brake cables in my hand.

I suspect the cables are rattling together, after the bike mechanic pulled on the gear brakes too much?

I am especially suspicious of those PLASTIC cartridges I have on my gear cables?

Untitled2.jpg

Can someone please tell me what is their function, if any?

And any suggestions how to solve this?

The other day, I got electric tape and tied all the cables together, but had to undo them as I hindered steering... :mrgreen:

I have 105 5700 STIs, front and rear mechs are 105 as well, ALL INTERNAL cabling...so should be tidy?

thanks

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    Inline adjusters to help index the gears
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    odessouky wrote:
    Recently I changed the brake calipers on my bike at Evans, and I suspect the guy who did it shortened the cables a little, as he just cut off the excess length on the brake cables flush with the brakes, and not closer to where they fit that brass end thingy...

I'd be rather upset about that - it makes them impossible to adjust, and the odd extra couple of cm and crimped cover stop the cable from getting out of shape and frayed where it's clamped into the caliper.

Your inline adjusters could be rattling together. My preferred technique is to hold one or more bits of cable at a time out of the way by hand while you're on a bit of bumpy road, and see what (if anything) stops the rattle
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190

Sorry to use this thread and for a silly question but when would you need to use this adjuster?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    When you need to make the gears change smoothly. They adjust the tension in the cable which effects how the gears work.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    davoj wrote:

Sorry to use this thread and for a silly question but when would you need to use this adjuster?

Front mechs have no barrel adjuster so it's usually handy to have one for that.
    While it's not strictly necessary for the rear mech, I'm led to believe some people like to be able to make small adjustments while riding, or adjust their gears from the front end instead of at the mech.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    davoj wrote:
    when would you need to use this adjuster?

To fine tune your gears when you are riding along.

A mechanic sets the gears up in a bike stand, but the riders weight on the bike can sometimes make a small difference, so you can fine tune them as you ride along (on the fly).

If you don't know what you're doing, then they're best left alone 8)
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • davoj
    davoj Posts: 190
    No i defintley don't but was curious all the same.

Thanks for the reply
  • odessouky
    Giraffoto wrote:
    odessouky wrote:

I'd be rather upset about that - it makes them impossible to adjust, and the odd extra couple of cm and crimped cover stop the cable from getting out of shape and frayed where it's clamped into the caliper.

Your inline adjusters could be rattling together. My preferred technique is to hold one or more bits of cable at a time out of the way by hand while you're on a bit of bumpy road, and see what (if anything) stops the rattle

do you think i have a case to go back to Evans and complain that the brake cable should not have been cut so short?

i still have the receipt for the work they did?

here's how short they cut it, and it has definitely messed up the cables at the handlebar

P1010494.jpg

P1010493.jpg
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The back is definitely too short, the front . . . is getting into personal taste territory. I'd have done the front a couple of cm longer, others wouldn't. You see the way the cable is squashed out of shape above the bolt on the rear one? That's easier to do right at the cut end of the cable than in the middle of a section with unsquashed cable either side of it. Another thing to consider is that you may want to adjust the back one as the cable stretches: what are you going to grip to pull it through?

This looks like it was done by someone who was desperate to re use inner cables.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    I'd take it back and get the rear cable replaced, you shouldn't have to pay for shoddy work.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Another example to illustrate why I do it all myself. Pathetic
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • odessouky
    The only reason I took it to Evans is I do not have a torque wrench, and was terrified to over tighten the calipers or crack the carbon frame..

Interestingly, the guy used a torque wrench on the front caliper but did not use one on the rear caliper.