Help or hinderence?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited June 2014 in MTB general
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27685867

Its not sure how this can be classed as helping people ride a bike if, presumably, when they get on a regular bike without the assistance they then fall off!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Maybe people should just run behind their kids holding the seat like they have since... oh, I don't know... forever? Took my little one about two hours to go from not being able to ride to riding unaided. File under: Problems That Don't Need Solving.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Head angle looks a bit steep.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    On trend short stem though.
  • cooldad
    Disc wheel looks a bit 80s
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    Disc wheel looks a bit 80s

Nah, they were on the rear wheel with a smiley face on them in the 80's.
  • The Rookie
    Is that the 19 or 18 80's CD?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I refuse to respond to such juvenile comments.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Erm...... But you just did!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    If anything this is gunna make it extra hard when the kid makes the transition to a regular bike. I don't see how it wouldn't, not only is this thing pointless, I'm pretty sure it's detrimental to cyclcing!!
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Maybe people should just run behind their kids holding the seat like they have since... oh, I don't know... forever? Took my little one about two hours to go from not being able to ride to riding unaided. File under: Problems That Don't Need Solving.

Still one of the strongest memories of my childhood, me pedalling along in the park* with my Dad holding the back, me constantly shouting "Are you still holding on?!!" and him replying "Yes! Keep going", of course when I stopped I realise he hasn't been holding on for some time :D

*In a park where technically cycling is not allowed.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I don't get it, Lewis was about 7 when he learned to cycle without stabilisers on. took him less than an hour to do it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My boys just properly nailed it this year - great to see.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Angus Young
    It's hilarious that it took 'team of engineers' and gyroscopic technology to achieve what a couple of quids worth of stabilisers have been doing since before we were all born. Maybe engineers are not really that smart...
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Stabilizers aren't that great - balance bikes, however, are a great re-discovery (if that's the right word). There's a thread in family and kids about teaching kids to ride with 'take the pedals off' the first bit of advice.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    yeah I'm not convinced by the whole thing. We all learnt to ride with stabilisers after all.

My boy who was on a balance bike has nailed it a year before my daughter did (I think, was a long time ago!) using stabilisers but who's to say that's the reason.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Angus Young
    It's hilarious that it took 'team of engineers' and gyroscopic technology to achieve what a couple of quids worth of stabilisers have been doing since before we were all born. Maybe engineers are not really that smart...

Actually that's just reminded me of that old one about the Americans spending a million dollars to design a pen that could write in space while the Russians just took a pencil. *

* It's a myth, by the way, before anyone points that out.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    It may not be an entirely needed piece of engineering but I think as a system that you can turn down as your kids get the hang of it (I am assuming no one else actually watched the video) so the effect is tuned down from the Weeble no fall setting to a more practical save you from yourself and then off to get you riding - means you dont need a balance bike and then a pedal bike - just go straight to the source.

Its probably hugely expensive so No good for most but hell if I had a pile of cash and kids I might consider it. Save me having to run behind them - I can hold my beer instead.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Angus Young
    means you dont need a balance bike and then a pedal bike - just go straight to the source.

Nobody needs a balance bike.
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    This ^^^^^
    The only thing that needs solving on kids bikes is the weight issue at an accessible price.
  • Angus Young
    Festerfeet wrote:
    The only thing that needs solving on kids bikes is the weight issue at an accessible price.

You just won the thread.
  • cooldad
    Festerfeet wrote:

You just won the thread.
    I'd rather have the money.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    My son was given a second hand bike when he was six by a neighbour. We went to collect it up the road. Whilst I was chatting to our neighbour my son got really bored so he got on the bike and cycled off. He'd never been on a bike before even with stabilisers. This had none. Paul and I just stood speechless staring at him. A complete natural for balance!

My daughter on the otherhand was a different matter :-( and many hours on a grassy slope were required.

Can't help but think this new gyro bike will make the steering feel very heavy and unnatural due to its very nature. Kids need to have very quick steering input when learning to correct balance on a bike during the learning process. For them it's all about flicking the bars back and forth to stay upright.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Elder rugrat - picked it up reasonable quickly, the younger one is a stubborn bugger who wouldn't make an effort and kept wanting to go back to his bike with stabilisers. So on holiday in the south of France I lost my temper and told him so stop being silly and went round the front of the villa - que 10 mins later him ridding up and down the garden
  • EckSee
    EckSee Posts: 8
    Seems to be a gimmick aimed squarely at lazy parents, can imagine a park full of them chatting over an overpriced coffee whilst technology teaches their kids to ride.

My eldest took a while to get the confidence to lose the stabilisers but he's always been risk adverse. My 4 year old, on the other hand, has been riding scooters since he could walk and jumped straight onto a bike with no stabilizers and disappeared off. I took him out for his first off-road ride last weekend and he was a natural, fell off a few times going over roots but got straight up and tried again until he nailed it.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Balance bikes seem to be for those parents too posh to take the pedals off an ordinary kids bike.

Teaching adults is a bit different, it always surprises me which people pick things up more easily. I have a recumbent (see pic over there <<<) which needs a slightly different technique when setting off from an upright bike. My younger brother rides an MTB reasonably regularly but took a whole afternoon to get the hang of it (he would not quit till he could do it mind). My Dad, who is 70+ and not ridden any bike for 40 years, set off perfectly on his first attempt and cruises around without so much as a wobble...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp