Cheapest pinarello road bike - what model?

aha$$all
aha$$all Posts: 16
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
What can I get, would like to race and go on club rides

Regards :)

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • aha$$all
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    aha$$all wrote:

Oh the irony :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • deimosjohnny
    deimosjohnny Posts: 135
    edited June 2014
    what is the group set on that?

Sorry, could n't resist. Decent range on the Halfords site.

What budget are you playing with?
  • Grill
    I'll cut you a break as you're just a kid, but was it really necessary to create three separate threads? I'll help you out.

I'm looking for a new bike as I'd like to start doing club runs and eventually race. I have a maximum budget of £1200 and would like something that looks good and has a decent spec. I really like the look of Pinarellos, but am not sure if I can get one in my budget. I've also looked at the Trek Madone 2.3 and was wondering if any owners could provide feedback? Many thanks.

You're welcome.
  • aha$$all
    Grill wrote:
    I'll cut you a break as you're just a kid, but was it really necessary to create three separate threads? I'll help you out.

I'm looking for a new bike as I'd like to start doing club runs and eventually race. I have a maximum budget of £1200 and would like something that looks good and has a decent spec. I really like the look of Pinarellos, but am not sure if I can get one in my budget. I've also looked at the Trek Madone 2.3 and was wondering if any owners could provide feedback? Many thanks.

You're welcome.

Thanks you for your help, and sorry for the comment
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    Ignore the sanctimonius to$$ers on this site.

Halfords are selling an FP UNo (alu frame) Tiagra for around £1100.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    If you are new to road cycling, I'd try and go for an entry level model to cut your teeth on. The Pinarellos and Madones are indeed very nice bikes, but really aren't necessary either to 'look good' or even be competitive on.

I would recommend an entry level machine with Sora or Tiagra groupset- from personal experience the Trek 1 series are nice bikes (my 2011 1.1 model still draws positive reactions with regards to looks- although I'm not too bothered by this tbh) and the Specialized Allez are well known for being very capable racing machines for their price. Giant Defy's are also regarded quite highly.

You can also find old season deals online such as through Evans Cycles, and Wiggle has a deal with Felt to supply cheaper machines.
    If you have some idea as to what sized frame you'll need and aren't shy of doing your own maintenance then some great second hand deals can be had.

Once you have your machine, you can always upgrade gradually as you go- such as a nice pair of lightweight wheels and tyres for race day, and maybe even a new groupset such as 105 if you find a sale on.
    At the end of the day, the ability of the rider is far more important than the machine up to a point- I've more than held my own in races against competitors with machines worth more than 5x as much as mine!

If you are totally set on cycling a few years down the line and you know what you are looking for, by all means save up and buy the bike of your dreams. Just beware any deals that look too good to be true- especially with Pinarellos. There have been a lot of cases of Pinarello fakes (also known as Chinarellos) which can be catastrophically dangerous to ride!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its really not about the bike - you will pay a premium for the Pinarello name.

I was once a kid and always lusted after the pro issue bikes - I bought one eventually and it didnt ride massively better than my previous bike.

Get the bike that fits you best is my advice. Its great to beat an expensive bike on a cheap one. Its all about the rider.

Happy cycling.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    I frankly am annoyed at the silly remarks every time someone posts to ask about advice on something they covet, but have no experience..

Giving good advice is great, but mocking the poster for their naivety or for looking to buy something, which in the eyes of the experienced is total bollocks, is very disrespectful...

He simply wants to get a pinarello...maybe he loves Wiggo, or Team Sky, or just likes the way the bike looks, and wants to get the cheapest possible..

Yeah, he could have simply went online, and sorted by cheapest [note to OP :)], but there is no harm in asking...

that is why forums exist...

just give him some basic advice, positive or negative...or just ignore the post and go to the next...

Do you think anyone driving a DB9, 458 etc NEEDS one, let alone know how to drive one?

Or some of the folk here who talk about Colnago this and Cervelo that...do the actually need those bikes..?

you like something...you covet it...and if you can afford it...you go ahead and buy it....show it off...then stick it on fleabay in a couple of months...

:)

finished my rant...
  • Grill
    Except he doesn't simply want a Pinarello since he also started threads about the Trek Madone 2.3 and one about the best bike for £1200. Try to keep up son.
  • odessouky
    odessouky Posts: 264
    well...i did not know he was posting every where..!!

but still...cut the guy some slack...

and what's this thing you have going with "son"

how OLD are you...?

:mrgreen:
  • Grill
    Probably younger than you, but you obviously need a strong mentor to stay above the curve. :P
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Or less arrogance in case you fly too far above it :D