need to be rid of my conical h/set spacer

burglarboycie
burglarboycie Posts: 200
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
I'm sure this has been covered before but the search function doesn't seem to want to work on my tablet!
I have an FSA headset on my 29er, it has a horrible conical spacer on top but I want the front end lower. I have had a little look around online but can't seem to find an alternative. It seems to act as part of the seal so I can't just do away with it completely.
Any help would be appreciated
James

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Just replace it with a flat one. That said I just took the one off my winter road bike and didn't replace it with anything, headset's not suffered.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    My commuter has never had a cover on, just made sure the headset was well greased, still silky smooth despite being 8 years old.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Ask in a bikeshop they should have something to fit in the bits box.

Or buy one of these should fit http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/71910/Aheadset_Headset_Cover
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But you'll have an abrupt end to it, which almost certainly won't line up with your headset spacers/stem. More faff than it's worth.
  • Thanks guys
    I just removed it in the end, I'm sure it won't do any harm to the headset whilst the weather is nice. The bike rode a lot nicer with the front end slammed.
    James