Handlebar swap?!

Joeblack
Joeblack Posts: 829
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi guys,

After buying new handlebars I'm thinking of doing the change over myself but can't find a decent video anywhere that shows a change when all the wiring is already in place and wonder if anyone could point me to one?

Also is this a reasonably easy job? It's ultegra if that helps

Lastly I'm looking for some sued style tape that's smooth to touch without any logos, I really like the fizik stuff that comes on the new cervelos but can't buy it anywhere.

All help is appreciated
One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling

Comments

• Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Are you looking for something to show you how the cables should sit when you tape them to the new bars?

Regarding the tape, it's not this stuff is it? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-performan ... ebar-tape/
    But as an alternative, Specialzed Roubaix tape is kinda suedy. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec028195
  • Joeblack
    Jack93 wrote:
    Are you looking for something to show you how the cables should sit when you tape them to the new bars?

Regarding the tape, it's not this stuff is it? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fizik-performan ... ebar-tape/
    But as an alternative, Specialzed Roubaix tape is kinda suedy. http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec028195

Hi no it's not that fizik stuff I already have that on the bike and don't like it :(

I'm just looking for something that takes you through the whole process, from unwrapping the bar tap then transferring over the shifters to the new bar and re taping?
  • Rod11
    There's probably something out there, but easiest thing to do would be to take some pictures of how your cables are just now, before you do anything. Then take the bar tape off by peeling back the electrical tape near the stem, then unravelling the bartape. Once you get to the end you should be able to pull out the bar end plugs. Next there'll be some wraps of electrical tape holding your brake and shifter cables to the bars - cut the tape, freeing the cables. To release the shifters, you'll need to pull back the hoods, and you'll find a 5mm alan key bolt - undoing this will loosen the clamp, allowing you to slide them off the bar. Then undo the bolts on your stem faceplate, and that's the handlebars off. Now reverse the process! Use the photos you took to work out how the cables should sit, and have a look on youtube for bar wrapping tutorials; there's loads. Step 2 on this article will show you where the shifter clamp bolt is - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ace-26312/
  • Joeblack
    Jack93 wrote:
    There's probably something out there, but easiest thing to do would be to take some pictures of how your cables are just now, before you do anything. Then take the bar tape off by peeling back the electrical tape near the stem, then unravelling the bartape. Once you get to the end you should be able to pull out the bar end plugs. Next there'll be some wraps of electrical tape holding your brake and shifter cables to the bars - cut the tape, freeing the cables. To release the shifters, you'll need to pull back the hoods, and you'll find a 5mm alan key bolt - undoing this will loosen the clamp, allowing you to slide them off the bar. Then undo the bolts on your stem faceplate, and that's the handlebars off. Now reverse the process! Use the photos you took to work out how the cables should sit, and have a look on youtube for bar wrapping tutorials; there's loads. Step 2 on this article will show you where the shifter clamp bolt is - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... ace-26312/

That's great Jack, thank you, sounds reasonably easy and something I could.

Thanks again for the info
  • Rod11
    No bother. Hardest bit will be getting the new tape wrapped nicely, definitely took me a good few attempts at first.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    When it comes to re-taping your brake cables to the new bar this bit of advice from Sheldon is well worth paying heed to:

The usual set-up involves running the cables along the inside of the upper part of the handlebar, tightly secured to the bar with tape. It is important that the housing be tightly wrapped against the handlebar, or the braking may be spongy.
    To ensure firm contact of the housing against the stop inside the brake lever, the cables should be fully connected and put under tension before they are taped down. One good way to do this is to use a toe strap to hold the brake lever tightly applied while securing the section of housing that runs along the handlebar. It is good practice to use electrical tape or other adhesive tape to secure the cable housing against the handlebar. If you do so, it is easier to apply the normal handlebar tape afterwards, or to replace the handlebar tape at a later date.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Gozzy wrote:
    When it comes to re-taping your brake cables to the new bar this bit of advice from Sheldon is well worth paying heed to:

The usual set-up involves running the cables along the inside of the upper part of the handlebar, tightly secured to the bar with tape. It is important that the housing be tightly wrapped against the handlebar, or the braking may be spongy.
    To ensure firm contact of the housing against the stop inside the brake lever, the cables should be fully connected and put under tension before they are taped down. One good way to do this is to use a toe strap to hold the brake lever tightly applied while securing the section of housing that runs along the handlebar. It is good practice to use electrical tape or other adhesive tape to secure the cable housing against the handlebar. If you do so, it is easier to apply the normal handlebar tape afterwards, or to replace the handlebar tape at a later date.

Even better is to just tighten up the cable adjusters at the calipers. That way the cable outers will be held tight in the levers without any toe strap getting in the way while taping the outers in place or applying the bar tape itself.