Wiel carbon frame

Littleleg5
Littleleg5 Posts: 12
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Does any one know what the wiel carbon frames are like? As I am looking at up gradeing from my 2009 Allez Ali frame.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just another open mould Chinese frame. Better off going Planet X as at least you have an avenue to pursue if something goes wrong.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Littleleg5
    Littleleg5 Posts: 12
    So probably not a good buy then
  • pmoore2007
    pmoore2007 Posts: 30
    Anyone have any more news on the Wile carbon frame bikes. I recently purchased one but wasn't sure on sizing at 5'10 what size should I be going for?
  • After my 53cm Boardman developed three cracks on the head tube I don't know how as I never crashed the thing, ever, I was looking for a replacement frame and came across the Wiel frames on ebay. The seller had about 10 feedbacks so they were going cheap. I'm 6'1" and somebody with my height usually requires something like a 56-58cm frame. I bit the bullet and bought the 54cm frame as it was the largest they sold on ebay and my Boardman was only a 53cm as I bought it second hand and that never gave me any trouble. To be honest, I find it just right with a 25mm offset seatpost and a 100mm stem on the 54cm frame. After purchasing it I realised the price of their frames was going up as well as the wheels so I went ahead and bought a set of wheels as well. Overall it's a comfortable ride but definitely a head turner. Being a Chinese frame one can question it's quality and wonder whether there was any R&D involved at all or not but I'm not a racer and I ride for fun but even when I push it, I don't see any sign of fatigue or any weird vibrations or clicks. The frame is rigid too and with the current configuration, weighs at 7.5kgs without pedals. As soon as I change the stem and bar to carbon ones, that's going to drop down to very close to 7kgs.
  • Here's a picture of the bike which as you can see was still not complete at that time

2mi4710.jpg
  • They look really nice frames, I've seen them advertised on the Bay of fleas. Like others have said though, with the company based in Holland if anything goes wrong it's going to be a bit of a faff to get things sorted.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Oh, about their company being based in Holland, I think it's just a fake location they've chosen to sell to European customers. I bought my frame and wheels separately and both times it took around a week to arrive and the UPS shipment label stated that it arrived from Beijing. However, as far as sorting things out should something goes wrong, one buyer said in his feedback that his frame had a chip and he got a replacement. As you can in my bike's picture, the hubs are red and I specifically told them to send me a set of wheels with black ones. They acknowledged their mistake and sent me a set of the same hubs in black for free.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    l33ton wrote:
    Oh, about their company being based in Holland, I think it's just a fake location they've chosen to sell to European customers. I bought my frame and wheels separately and both times it took around a week to arrive and the UPS shipment label stated that it arrived from Beijing. However, as far as sorting things out should something goes wrong, one buyer said in his feedback that his frame had a chip and he got a replacement. As you can in my bike's picture, the hubs are red and I specifically told them to send me a set of wheels with black ones. They acknowledged their mistake and sent me a set of the same hubs in black for free.

So now you have to rebuild your wheels?
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    l33ton wrote:
    Oh, about their company being based in Holland, I think it's just a fake location they've chosen to sell to European customers. I bought my frame and wheels separately and both times it took around a week to arrive and the UPS shipment label stated that it arrived from Beijing. However, as far as sorting things out should something goes wrong, one buyer said in his feedback that his frame had a chip and he got a replacement. As you can in my bike's picture, the hubs are red and I specifically told them to send me a set of wheels with black ones. They acknowledged their mistake and sent me a set of the same hubs in black for free.

It's called drop-shipping and it's quite common.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • lawrences wrote:
    So now you have to rebuild your wheels?

Lol, I wish I had the means. I simply asked them to send me a pair of black skewers as my bike already had red accents and I thought the hub only being red didn't look too much but definitely wanted to change the skewers but for some reason they didn't understand me and were willing to send me the hubs as well. I figured it couldn't harm to have an extra set of hubs.
    Grill wrote:
    It's called drop-shipping and it's quite common.

I understand now but I may have been wrong thinking they came from China. Perhaps they do have a warehouse in Holland. I'm saying because I just received this UPS tracking information for the hubs and it seems they are indeed coming from Holland.

nz0k6x.png
  • I've just finished building a Wiel-frame based bike for my teenage son.

I can't fault the frame's quality, and the build went surprisingly well despite my very average mechanics skill level.

ae643b.jpg

He's only put a few miles on it so far, but he loves it already.

And on sizing, I asked the vendor for his advise, and went for the size 50. My son is roughly 5'6", and I think we got the correct frame.
  • l33ton
    l33ton Posts: 6
    Nice one. I wish they did an internal cable routing version of the frame I've got. Anyway, I've noticed that since it's a compact frame, smaller frame sizes work alright with taller riders. I'm 6' and find the 54cm to be perfect for me. In fact, I had to replace my 100mm stem with a 90mm one. Since the last time I posted here, I've upgraded to the Ultegra 6800 groupset and Ritchey Superlogic finishing kit and absolutely loving the whole thing. Here's a picture

f2qzhl.jpg
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    They're both nice bikes.
    What sort of outlay did they cost ?
    And how are the wheels ?
    Clinchers or tubs ?
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Hey, I've got the same frame. I like it. Mine weighs somewhere between 16 and 17 pounds, can't remember :? . Campagnolo Centaur and Zipp. This is my first carbon frame, but I am impressed.

I was watching these frames for a bit, after they first appeared on Ebay. The reviews started coming in and looked good, so I went for it. The shipping was quite fast, as I think mine came directly from China.

wiel.jpg?w=584&h=438
  • chanjy
    chanjy Posts: 200
    All these one post wonders popping up extolling the virtues of Wiel...
  • chanjy wrote:

Are you implying something?
  • Dodgy firm have been watching them for a while on eBay . Seems people that buy their stuff have only one or two feed back and appear to be new ebayers. I tried to buy a frame of them got it at a good price and then got a email saying out of stock. They have a couple of accounts under different names I have reported them to eBay but they don't give a damm.
  • l33ton
    l33ton Posts: 6
    chanjy wrote:

I don't have just the one post here and if checked with the same id you'd realise I've been buying from ebay since it was launched. If anything, you should promote a frame made in your country.
    Dodgy firm have been watching them for a while on eBay . Seems people that buy their stuff have only one or two feed back and appear to be new ebayers. I tried to buy a frame of them got it at a good price and then got a email saying out of stock. They have a couple of accounts under different names I have reported them to eBay but they don't give a damm.

If you had your doubt then why buy from them after all? Also, should you not be glad that you didn't receive a dodgy product from a dodgy firm because they didn't have it in stock?
  • Wiel seems to attracting the wrong sort of appreciative attention in Cambridge. My son's bike (pictured above) was stolen a couple of days ago (7-Mar-2015). If anyone is offered it or sees it for sale, please let Cambridge police know, ref number CF 009 147 0315. Thanks in advance!
  • i am a dealer for wiel in australia they have not faulted on service or quality once with me any problems are fixed promptly with no questions asked there is a lot of big name companies that wont give you the time of day when issues occur if anyone in australia has issues feel free to contact me and il be happy to help
  • TrenC
    TrenC Posts: 1
    i am a dealer for wiel in australia they have not faulted on service or quality once with me any problems are fixed promptly with no questions asked there is a lot of big name companies that wont give you the time of day when issues occur if anyone in australia has issues feel free to contact me and il be happy to help

Hi @Wiel Australia. I'm interested in a b106 frame.... how do I get in touch?
  • Kiki001
    Kiki001 Posts: 29
    edited June 2016
    Though Wiel is a relatively new brand, their frames look nice. :)
  • Kiki001
    Kiki001 Posts: 29
    :D Not only frames, I find that wheels of Wiel look good too.
    c40190d60533cc5bfd969dd667026467.jpg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019DYSINE
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    i am a dealer for wiel in australia they have not faulted on service or quality once with me any problems are fixed promptly with no questions asked there is a lot of big name companies that wont give you the time of day when issues occur if anyone in australia has issues feel free to contact me and il be happy to help
    It would appear that wiel australia haven't learned how to use CAPITALS yet.