avid breaks clamp

bonneol1
bonneol1 Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
dear all,
I'm changing my avid 5 on the spectral for deor one. The avid will go on my wife's bike. Because I want to keep the clamp on the dropper trigger, what is the best/cheapest clamp to use on the avids? From the look of it, I can find the hinge clamp but it does seem like quite a lot (£16) for what it is. Any other options that you guys might have used/ Other brands?
thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    No idea what you are asking but if it is not an avid or avid compatible clamp it ain't working.

And it is brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avid 5.....juicy, elixir or something else?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bonneol1
    sorry for the spelling mistake, the brakes are avid 5 and my question is about what to buy exactly as a clamp for it, it was setup on the dropper post clamp so is now clamp-less....
    thanks
  • The Rookie
    Avid 5 WHAT, juicy, elixir, code or whatever? I've not seen juicy or elixir with separate clamps.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bonneol1
    sorry, elixir 5! i'll check again then, maybe it's the clamp for the reverb dropper I need. In any case I guess it's the same thing I'm look for?
    thanks for the help
  • The Rookie
    Never seen an Elixir 5 with a clamp as you describe, early ones had the separate 1/2 clip, later ones a simple wrap round clamp as part of the main casting.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I think what your asking is the Reverb post lever is mounted onto the Avid Elixir 5 clamp using the "matchmaker" system. I think you'll need a new clamp for the reverb
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • bonneol1
    thanks Kirby700 (and others), I did find one in the end, I did buy a matchmaker clamp with the matchmaker part of it that can be removed, ended up cheaper. Should receive it in the next few days from CRC. Thanks for the help and sorry for not being precise in my query!