Homemade bearing puller

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Got a bit of time on my hands, so here's a slightly photo heavy guide on a homemade bearing puller. Using two sockets (one smaller, one larger) a couple of washers and nuts, and a bolt.

The small socket needs to fit the bearing face, the larger socket needs to be large enough to pull the bearing into itself, i.e a few mm oversize of the bearing you're pulling.

IMAG0619_zpsq8uwcohs.jpg

IMAG0621_zps1azskdkp.jpg

Here you can see the bearing, the lower bearing at the bottom has been removed already. Yours may be different, but my bearings can only be pulled out one way. In the orientation of the photo, up.

IMAG0623_zpsfxv3fhaw.jpg

When I flip the frame you can see the SMALLER of the two sockets is a perfect fit to push the bearing from the frame.

IMAG0614_zpslqivzfen.jpg

IMAG0615_zpskwsipmst.jpg

I then push the bolt through the LARGE socket. The bolt has a large enough head on it to catch on the large socket, which is what it will pull against.

b4e37211-acf4-4d05-b55f-eb6f0774da0b_zpsf8895b3b.jpg

I then direct the large socket and bolt though the bearing and then through the small socket on the other side

IMAG0628_zps0xzpnycy.jpg

Now with washer and nut. I've put in and old sock to protect the frame slightly. I'm actually stripping the frame soon so not too fussed.

You must make sure that the large socket is positioned correctly. If you do not position it correctly you will be trying to pull the bearing into the socket and you might damage the frame.

4eceec9f-2d7b-41a3-9793-093132a03fea_zps9aceb63a.jpg

It's now a case of tightening the nut and the bearing should pull out. It should be reasonably resistant, if it's very resistant however something is probably misaligned.

Here's a flick of the tool assembled

247738e9-cbee-4ac9-8afd-b6c27ca1e550_zpscb78dd35.jpg

Hope this helps someone someday ha

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    it will help me very soon! Thank you
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Very interesting, but wouldn't it be easier to fit the smaller socket and then give it a whack with a hanger? If you made sure it was straight I doubt it would damage anything...
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah, a rubber hammer. This is if you wanna be controlled and careful. Plus my collarbone is been at the moment, and I can't hammer haha
  • exactly how I did mine.
  • pesky_jones
    Yeah I thought someone must have done it or something similar before. I was looking at the transition tool and just thought it looked like two sockets. Just thought I'd do it incase someone had a search for it in the forum, I've had plenty of help from BR in the past.
  • Mine was a bit more ghetto as the lower pivot bearings on the canyon were just awkward lol!

Will see if I can find a pic, I used all sorts...washers, nuts, sockets amd bits of random metal!