New wheels - not the usual selection criteria

2»

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    my mavics came on my Canyon (ie by post) but when they broke my LBS, as a mavic dealer, sent them off and got them sorted for me

in some cases I think to get the "official dealer" badge you have to deal with all products brought to you, not merely ones which you sold in the first place (which could be very hard to trace if more than a couple of years old)

or maybe my LBS was just being nice as I spend several hundred pounds a year in there
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I'd go with Enve wheels, shops with a saddleback account can help you out. The Miche wheels are actually pretty good having seen them. Shame they are narrow rims and the rims must be over 500g from doing the sums on the parts weight.

ENVE with that budget would be my choice. Enve rims on Royce hubs, DT Swiss, White Ind T11 e.t.c Damm fine wheels.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Lancew wrote:
    Mathematically speaking every frigging rim is toroidal.

Talk about buzz word bingo
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • littledove44
    littledove44 Posts: 871
    Some vision Metron 40 would fit the bill. Can't seem to buy those anywhere either.

Try Primo Cycles in Cambridge. They had the 40's and 55's last time I looked. Not tempted by the farsports ones then?!
    Thanks, but they only have 55's
  • Funny, I was in search of new wheels last summer and didn't know the market very well either. I spent months researching and testing all-round wheels that fit within the budget you mentioned and considered the issues brought up by some who've already responded to your question. Looked at 36 wheelsets from 23 companies. I came out with three recommendations - best performer, best value and best alternative. And, you can get most everything in black or 'blacked-out' graphics these days.

I wrote it all up and posted it on my blog here.

http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/04/29/ ... d-cyclist/

Let me know what you think. Hope its helpful