freehub issue

Northern_Monkey13
Northern_Monkey13 Posts: 79
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just putting my bike back together and I decided to replace the old 9 speed cheapo shimano cassette for a new 9 speed xt one.
So took old one off gave the hub a quick clean up and then slid the new one on and tightened up.
Problem I have now is the new cassette doesn't spin freely like the old one. Feels tight.
Hope this makes sense and any advice would be welcome.
Thanks!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nothing to do with the cassette which should only touch the freehub, so it's a freehub issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks any reason why it would do that when all I've done is take one off and put new one on?
    Could it be that the freehub was damaged and me tinkering could if highlighted something that's broken?
  • The Rookie
    It could be something you aggravated when swapping the cassette, just make sure nothing is trapped and rubbing the rest of the wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Overtightened axle or missing o-ring between freehub and hub would be my guess.
    The axle should be just barely pinched up.
  • Cheers guys, it ended up being the plastic disc to stop the chain falling off which was causing it to protrude to much
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Ah the rookie ring. Aka a waste of space
  • The Rookie
    Plastic dish doesn't stop the chain falling off, only stops it damaging the spokes if it did.