Chain guide for 8 speed

Johnny_Cage
Johnny_Cage Posts: 57
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I need a chain guide for an 8 speed, though all chain guides are made for 9/10 speeds, where the chain is narrower. Whilst it may be fine, won't this mean rubbing is more likely with a thicker 8 speed chain? - rubbing is already common even with the narrower chains.

What chain guide would you suggest?

I was looking for something simple like the E thirteen XCX or Superstar XCR, that sort of thing.

I see that you can get frame mounted and bracket mounted, which is better for my specifics? The frame mounted one would seem to me to be more adjustable?

How common are chain drops in single ring setups anyway? I will be taking out any excess links to keep the chain tight.

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    you don't get many with a clutch mech and a NW ring. all depends on the chain tension and the terrain you cycle. I've not dropped one yet with the clutch off but that's not been rough trails
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Alternately my commuter 1x9 drops the chain on shifts when pedaling.....

Use a chain guide, you can use a 9 speed chain (not 10) on an 8 if you want to reduce rub.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Is the thickness difference between a 8 and a 9 speed chain really that significant?

Why would your chain drop just by shifting gears and pedaling? Is it a true single ring with longer teeth and no ramps?
  • The Rookie
    When you change gear if you watch the chain it whips around quite a lot, that can be enough to derail the chain, yes it's a single specific chainring.

Well you were concerned that the wider 8 would rub, so you seem to think to think it significant!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Well you were concerned that the wider 8 would rub, so you seem to think to think it significant!

Just that I read lots of people even with the narrower 9/10 speed chains still have trouble with gettting their chain guide rub-free... so a wider 8 speed chain can only compund that problem.
  • The Rookie
    None of my three, nor my sons rub, but then maybe I'm super amazing in my bike building skills......or maybe it just takes some care!
  • I'm prepared to fine tune it until it is optimal, so if there is any rubbing then it will probably be minimal.

The frame mounted ones - do they give greater control over adjustment?
  • The Rookie
    Different guides have different strengths and weaknesses, I like the inner guide ring and bash option (I'd use a bash anyway) as being light, very effective and totally rub free, on my commuter with no bash I use a seat tube mounted simple guide.
  • What if I were to take off one more link than I really ought to.

Would this keep the chain on better? Maybe of course at the expensive of stressing the derailleur/chain, but just in theory?

I currently have a long derailleur, which I gather is not as good as a short one for a single ring, but wouldn't this allow me to stretch the chain out more though, giving it more tension - by removing 'too many' links.

Thoughts?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    What if I were to take off one more link than I really ought to.

Would this keep the chain on better? Maybe of course at the expensive of stressing the derailleur/chain, but just in theory?

I currently have a long derailleur, which I gather is not as good as a short one for a single ring, but wouldn't this allow me to stretch the chain out more though, giving it more tension - by removing 'too many' links.

Thoughts?

With a Single ring set up there is not much option for that - with a double or triple if you are careful never to go big to big then you can overly shorten a chain but doing it on a single ring is going to compromise the longevity of your chain and possibly your mech. I wouldn't.

What options do you have for fitting a chain guide? Does your frame have ISCG mounts? Or are you looking at a BB mounted one?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Would have to be a BB or frame mounted one - no mounts, I believe.

The derailleur is old, and the chains are £7, so I wouldn't mind putting extra stress on them, if it'd keep the chain on tight without a guide.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    It won't.

Most springs are pretty linear in tension through their arc so could do more damage than it would help.
  • Hmm... If I don't have the ISCG mounts, can I still buy a guide that only comes in this flavour?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Just run your front mech and see how you go.
  • The Rookie
    What if I were to take off one more link than I really ought to.

Take out one link and you won't be able to rejoin the chain as you'll have two inner or two outer ends, take out a pair and the chain will be too short and pull the rear mech into the cassette.

I'd stick to following advice given as thinking could ruin your bike!
  • I will fold over an entire link and see it much it stretches my rear derailleur in big cog.

45 degree angle is good I think.
  • The Rookie
    NO, just size it properly and stop being a bonehead, that will be longer than sized correctly yet you were talking of fitting it shorter than sized correctly....

But you'll almost certainly need a chain guide regardless.
  • John McClane? :lol:

I will try out my front derailleur first.

If not, anyone tried the Octane One Evo & Bash Chain Guide? How is it?

I don't have ISCG mounts, but it says "BB mount adtaper included (fits frame w/o ISCG mount)", so I guess it will work OK with my frame?
  • The Rookie
    Yes it will fit, you remove the BB and refit sandwiching the guide mounting plate as you do so.
  • OK, got it on.

Can I ask, if a chain is going to come off the ring, what way does it normally come off?

Inwards, towards the BB - or outwards, over the crank arm?

Or is it totally random?
  • The Rookie
    Random...in the lower gears it's more likely to come off the BB side due to the chain angle, higher gears the cranks side, but in the middle, random.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Just a quick note on those BB mounted guides - they work with external bearing type BB's - do you have one of those if you are running 8 speed? Not sure what BB's exist for 8 spd but kind of imagine not the external cup types.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    Just a quick note on those BB mounted guides - they work with external bearing type BB's - do you have one of those if you are running 8 speed? Not sure what BB's exist for 8 spd but kind of imagine not the external cup types.
    No they work just fine with cartridge BB's, what makes you think they only work with external?