Building up from a frame for the first time

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
After a recent trip to Majorca i had my heart set on a Canyon Aeroad with a Sram Groupset in their Stealth paint job after an amazing test ride !!

I went to order last night only to find they are sold out in my size :(

So my option is to buy the frame, the groupset and build from scratch.

I am comfortable with basic bike maintenance and am pretty sure i can follow youtube vids and instructions. I have a few tools but was going to buy this from Planet X - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJWTK/jobsworth-tool-kit

Im after some real experiences from people that have done this from my starting point. It all looks so easy and simple watching a youtube video but I know for a fact its going to be tough !!!!

I just want a bit more of an idea of what im potentially letting myself in for before i pull the trigger on the frame !!
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've not built one up from scratch, but I have changed all the components - it's simple providing you have all the right parts.

What are you getting in that toolkit that you don't have already? Is it worth it? My tools have been built up over time, so probably cost more than this kit, so if you're missing lots then it may well end up cheaper in the long run. There's quite a bit in there that you either won't use or will only use the once - I had trouble removing an HT2 BB with my tool - took it to the LBS to change for me as a better tool would cost me £20 and wouldn't be needed again (the BB was too tight). So sometimes having the right tool isn't necessarily cheaper.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    hi
    have a search through the workshop forums, there is tons of advice there and its a more appropriate place.
    To summarise my thoughts though - yes, you should do it. You need a workstand, a good tool kit, time and patience and it's not difficult.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I would do as above and look on the workshop forum for advice.
    But it's really easy to build up your own bike.

The main thing is to know your frame and what sizes things need to be. It can often catch you out such as wrong headset or bottom bracket.
  • clickrumble
    clickrumble Posts: 304
    I have built up a couple of bikes now. I'm not an expert by any means but found it quite straight forward and very rewarding. My couple of points are i) check to make sure you're buying compatible components, and if you aren't sure and go ahead and order, make sure you are aware of the returns policy of the trader you bought from, ii) check the internet for specific advice before going ahead, eg bottom bracket assembly, youtube is very good. Oh, and for heavens sake do not try to keep a record of how much you've spent!
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I've built up a number of bikes from scratch including most recently my first full Di2 build and I would echo what other people have said. Make sure you have checked that all the components are compatibility and are correct for the frame you bought. There's nothing more frustrating than finding as I have that you have a braze on front mech but the frame only accepts a band on or that the BB you bought is an English threaded one but the frame only accepts Italian threaded......an buy a torque wrench snapped bolts and crush carbon can easily ruin your day :)
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Tjgoodhew
    I've built up a number of bikes from scratch including most recently my first full Di2 build and I would echo what other people have said. Make sure you have checked that all the components are compatibility and are correct for the frame you bought. There's nothing more frustrating than finding as I have that you have a braze on front mech but the frame only accepts a band on or that the BB you bought is an English threaded one but the frame only accepts Italian threaded......an buy a torque wrench snapped bolts and crush carbon can easily ruin your day :)

Some good points - thanks.

In terms of compatability - i have pushed the button and orederd the Canyon Aeroad frame https://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=3313

Any ideas what i would need in terms of compatability ?
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    TJ

Are you building an exact copy of the fully built up canyon bike, or customising it?

The Canyon website will give you a good idea of component compatibility, e.g. look at the component spec. for this Shimano 6800 model, scroll to the bottom of the page.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bik ... ab-reiter2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    From the pics it seems it comes with headset / fork / stem and seatpost fitted? BB it says is press-fit, but doesn't say which standard it uses. The photo makes it look like the BB is already fitted? If so you need to find out what BB is fitted so you know what chainset it will take.

(My Scott CR1 came with a Shimano press-fit BB already installed so the Tiagra chainset just slid in)

If all those bits are already installed, the trickier stuff has been done for you, and you just need to fit a groupset, bars, saddle and wheels.

If it has internal cable routing that may make it a bit more interesting.

Get a decent pair of cable cutters. Don't cut the outer cable with the inner wire inside it. (Not that I've ever done such a stupid thing...)

Have a couple of test rides to make sure the shifters are where you want them before taping the bars.

Take your time. Measure things twice before cutting anything.

Remember it's meant to be enjoyable.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks Keef,

Yes it does come with all of those bits already fitted so really pleased with that.

I think i better give them a call to find out about the BB before i order the groupset. Im just glad it isnt a BB30 !!

Cable routing was one thing i was a bit worried about - it is internal. But im sure i can manage it
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    A tip for internal cables.... Start with a long piece of cotton, push it half in the frame then use a vacuum cleaner to suck that end out of the exit hole elsewhere on the frame. Then tie the cable to the cotton, and pull the end of the cotton to pull the cable through.
  • rickeverett
    Don't want to spoil the party, but unless you want a lower spec, its going to be very hard to build up to the specs canyon sell them for.

Its quite common now to fine pre-built bikes that are better vfm than self builds. Many cut direct costs by using imported frames etc.

Doing some very quick costings for the base Canyon, I go £200 over the Canyon price tag to self build.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I've almost finished my first build (a Winter bike), I just have the bar tape to do and it's been a great learning experience. I started from a place where I couldn't even adjust my own brakes or gears and I have built a complete bike from components using you tube videos. It has been a learning curve, for instance I had to run the shifter cabling 3 times before I got it right, but it has taught me loads and I just replaced the cassette, chain, front mech and gear cabling on my summer bike off the back of the things I learned building the Winter bike.

I didn't save any money; including all of the tools the bike cost me more than it would have to buy the same spec pre-built, but now I have the tools and the ability to maintain my own bikes. Also I have a unique mix of components chosen by me and I like that.

One piece of advice I would give you is to put a spreadsheet together of everything you need including all the finishing kit and price it all up before you start. I missed out lots of things which are now obvious like cable clips, headset spacers, ferrules. None of these were expensive but all introduced delays when I had to go and source them.
  • rickeverett
    Good alternative is Rose...
    They do a lighter Force22 Aero bike for just under £2000
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/products/bikes/road/aero/

edit, sorry just notice you have already ordered the frame. :oops:
  • Tjgoodhew
    Rickeverett - i did realise that it would cost more. Unfortunately i had my heart set on a Canyon Aeroad in Stealth black but the pre build i wanted was sold out and they told me there were not intending on making anymore. The only way around was to build the frame up. It is going to cost me more but im not too fussed as I can change a few bits to exactly what i want and more importantly the task of building it all up and learning.

Funny enough i was set on buying a rose until i actually saw the canyon up close and had the chance to ride it. I know that if i stuck with the Rose i would still be wanting the Canyon
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I found building my last bike didn't save me any money either, but at least I got to buy it in instalments!
    Plus I got that much satisfaction from it that I'm almost ready to put my second together, and with the exception of fork and frame, I hardly feel like I've been spending any excess money (hardly! :roll: :D )
  • rickeverett
    Pituophis wrote:
    I found building my last bike didn't save me any money either, but at least I got to buy it in instalments!
    Plus I got that much satisfaction from it that I'm almost ready to put my second together, and with the exception of fork and frame, I hardly feel like I've been spending any excess money (hardly! :roll: :D )

I agree. I suppose the only way to really save is to go directly to a Chinese frame manufacturer.

There's some mix emotions and risks involved using Cheaper Chinese/Taiwanese blank carbon frames, however there's a selection of good frame sets from some of these factories like the FM069 frameset.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    I did it a couple of years ago with my Ribble. No, you won't do it cheaper but you will probably do it in a much shorter time so it's swings and roundabouts really depending on which is more important to you. It is very rewarding for several reasons : sense of achievement, in depth knowledge of your bike which helps immeasureably when you are maintaining it - no job will phase you - and you get to use whatever components you want (this was a huge plus for me). I am desperate to do it again and have been looking for a suitable frame as a starting point, Canyon are favourite at the moment and I would love to hear how your project goes if that is the route you take so please update on your progress. As far as special tools go, I only needed a bottom bracket tool, a chain wrench, cassette tool and a torque wrench - all of which are still well used and were a worthwhile investment anyway. Push fit bearings can be a bit tricky and the tooling a bit more expensive so if these are already done for you then there is little to worry you as long as you are reasonably comfortable using tools. I like the idea of the uniqueness of my bike, all the parts are readily available but it is unlikely that the exact same combination have been used in exactly the same way.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    just remember not to clamp the carbon frame too tightly in your workstand!
    i need more bikes
  • Tjgoodhew
    Just a quick update.

Thanks for all of the advice but I have spoke to Canyon and they in fact had an available Aeroad in my size in stock !!

So I have now cancelled the frame and am expecting delivery of the full bike by the end of this week.

However what i have decided to do is fully upgrade my Caad8 with Ultegra bits that i can pick up from Ebay so all of the above advice is not lost.

Thanks everyone
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0