Met parachute 2014 stock.

matisko
matisko Posts: 22
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm trying to find any stock of the new Met parachute 2014 helmet. Can't find anyone who has them ready to despatch?
Anyone know of any stock? Not too fussed about the colours.
Ta :-)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I wouldn't bother. A plastic bag gives more protection.
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Has to be the met? or any lightweight full face?
    After much research last year I went for the casco viper, which I am delighted with, from http://casco-viper-nw.co.uk/presta/gb/ Although looking at the website I'm not sure they(the shop) still exist.

EDIT Just looked up the 2014 model of the met, looks nice!
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • rockmonkeysc
    The MET doesn't have the support to stop the chin bar getting mashed in to your face. It might look like a full face helmet but there's little to no face protection.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    m_cozzy wrote:
    Has to be the met? or any lightweight full face?
    After much research last year I went for the casco viper, which I am delighted with, from http://casco-viper-nw.co.uk/presta/gb/ Although looking at the website I'm not sure they(the shop) still exist.

EDIT Just looked up the 2014 model of the met, looks nice!
    Eurgh, what the hell is that thing?

If you want a full face lid, buy a full face lid. If you want an open face, get an open face. The MET Parachute is the worst of both worlds, in terms of protection.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I saw a guy over the weekend with one of these...guess it could fend off small, stray branches but that's about it I should think
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Granted the old design MET Parachute was rubbish but is the new one still crap too?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    jairaj wrote:
    Granted the old design MET Parachute was rubbish but is the new one still crap too?
    the new one does look a lot better.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    jairaj wrote:
    Yep. I tried one on in my local shop. There's still not enough support to stop the chin bar mashing you in the mouth and putting your face in contact with the ground. Even with the chin strap tight and the head band nicely adjusted I could still push it back to my face.
  • mark~p
    mark~p Posts: 55
    I think a lot depends on what you want from a helmet. If you are belting downhill runs then you are correct, the Met Parachute is not for you. You will need a proper full face helmet with all the extra motorcycle style of padding. That is what stops it moving, not the chin strap. In the horse riding world helmets used to have a chin strap that cupped the chin. It did make the helmet secure, trouble was it also ended up breaking your jaw if you were unlucky. These helmets are not made any longer as the safety standards have changed.
    Having used both a Parachute and the Casco Viper I believe both offer more protection than a stand lid but one has to be aware of the limitations. For general trail centre riding and cross country they are better. Of the two, the Parachute is the preferable as it is less like putting a balaclava over your head that then absorbs all the sweat. It is also far more comfortable to use with a CamalBak. The Casco chin guard is no more robust than the Met and is far more likely to break away due to the fixing. It is also far closer to your jaw than the Met.

I replaced my Parachute with the Viper last year when it needed replacing due to age and wear and the Met was no longer available. Once I have had a look at the new Parachute I would be expecting to buy one.

The main caveat is that loads of people have an opinion based on what it looks like and hearsay. Everyone seems to know someone who has buts their face in a spill whilst wearing a Parachute that has been made worse by the helmet. I simply do not believe these people as there are not enough people out there wearing the helmets in the first place.
    I tried to smash up the old Met and was absolutely amazed at the punishment it took. A strip of aluminium put in front (chin guard) to back only deflected a small amount. What finally killed it was a huge clout to the front/side of chin guard. Whilst not scientific, I think that if it required that much force to damage it, the resultant damage to the brain would make any helmet superfluous.

Ultimately a helmet is insurance, one hopes never to need it but until you do, there is no way of knowing if it will do the job.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Thread resurrection

They're not available until the end of this month, for all those criticising they're not even in the shops yet, the model 2014 is a completely different helmet to the old one, they should have called it something different IMO.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    still wouldn't buy one as its too expensive, there is no cheek padding and the helmet still looks like a two piece unit.

met-parachute-2014-feat.jpg
  • TwoTone
    TwoTone Posts: 1
    Sorry for dragging up an old thread but found this as I was searching for one in stock.

To the guys saying this won't protect you, hate to correct you but this helmet passes ASTM 1952. Also, it does have cheek pads, you were looking at pre-production drawings.

Just wanted to correct some of the inaccuracies posted.

Pretty damm good for a light, well ventilated helmet. The new Bell Super 2R isn't according to my research.

Here's a good article with better pictures. http://www.triridemtb.com/met-parachute-hes-2014/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All that article said to me was

Wfhjfbeflj jdbfjdfkjnd nkjnjnkjw jnjkdnjkwnd etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    Looks good to me, I'd probably buy one if it was closer to £100 than £150 - https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    I've had one on order for about 6 weeks and and it keeps getting put back. Praying it arrives before my trip to the Alps next month but it's going to be cutting it a bit fine...

I don't get all the hate for them tbh. I had the old one too and used in the context it was designed for (A trail helmet, NOT downhill) it's been spot on. The new one looks like a good step up though!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Based on the photos in the links above the new one looks better, in my opinion.
  • I like the look of it... I imagine the #enduro gang will rave about it!
  • m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    I've had one on order for about 6 weeks and and it keeps getting put back. Praying it arrives before my trip to the Alps next month but it's going to be cutting it a bit fine...

I don't get all the hate for them tbh. I had the old one too and used in the context it was designed for (A trail helmet, NOT downhill) it's been spot on. The new one looks like a good step up though!

You should have ordered it from one of the shops that half the posters in this thread went to 4 weeks ago to try it on and then claim its rubbish.They obviously somehow got stock before the helmet was released...
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)