Alternatives to Gatorskins

marcusww
marcusww Posts: 202
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Have used 25c folding Gatorskins for a year. I am looking for a better / faster? tyre with similar puncture protection. Riding the South Downs on these tyres, I usually get a few punctures over winter but good in summer months.

Does anyone know if the 25c Scwalbe Durano or 25c Michelin Pro4 endurance have similar protection? Or your recommendations would be gratefully received.

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use Conti GP 4 Seasons on my winter/wet weather bike, not had any issues with them.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Likewise, I've used GP 4 Seasons and found them good.
    Haven't tried the Durano or Pro4 Endurance. They'd be cheaper and might be worth a shot, don't know how they compare performance wise but a lot of people seem to like Duranos.
  • pete8uk
    pete8uk Posts: 63
    Another for Conti GP 4 seasons, only one puncture all winter (and that was an shard of glass)

BTW: Switched back to GP 4000s in April, and no punctures so far (that will have jinxed it of course). Perfect summer tyre to me. Not entirely bullet proof, but close, with great grip even in the wet.
    Weekend: Orbea Orca SLi2, Shimano Dura Ace C50s & Conti GP4000s
    Week: Boardman CX Team, Shimano RX31s & Conti Gatorskin Hardshells
    Twitter: @pete8uk, Strava: 1277229
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    drlodge wrote:
    I use Conti GP 4 Seasons on my winter/wet weather bike, not had any issues with them.

+1. In 25mm guise they're pretty much good enough for year round, reliable training needs.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”