Long time no ride

linsen
linsen Posts: 1,959
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
..... ahem, so to speak.

Hi all

You may (or may not) remember me. Anyway. I have recently had three bikes nicked and am in the process of replacing them. From here, I have a budget of £500 for a road bike for my 14 year old son (mens small I reckon - Giant Defy?) and £500 to replace a Specailaized Myka Elite hardtail MTB. The Felt Nine 70 has caught my eye, but I am pretty clueless as to what to get. Any ideas? I'd quite like to be able to lock the forks out for road riding, as it will be more of a general purpose runaround for my partner's daughter as well as for me to take into the woods.
The third bike was a BMX, think I'm okay with that one.

Any help gratefully received

Linds x
Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    linsen wrote:
    ..... ahem, so to speak.

Hi all

You may (or may not) remember me. Anyway. I have recently had three bikes nicked and am in the process of replacing them. From here, I have a budget of £500 for a road bike for my 14 year old son (mens small I reckon - Giant Defy?) and £500 to replace a Specailaized Myka Elite hardtail MTB. The Felt Nine 70 has caught my eye, but I am pretty clueless as to what to get. Any ideas? I'd quite like to be able to lock the forks out for road riding, as it will be more of a general purpose runaround for my partner's daughter as well as for me to take into the woods.
    The third bike was a BMX, think I'm okay with that one.

Any help gratefully received

Linds x

Hi! shame about the bikes.

have you got a larger bike shop you can see them in the flesh?

the Myka has lock out on the forks, though to be honest you'd struggle to find a bike in that range at least that didn't. i've never bothered one of the nice things about the old MTB i'm useing as my runaround is that potholes and speedbumps have gone from things you avoid to things that frankly aren't worth avoiding as the bike is untroubled.
  • Ah yes, I remember you! Welcome back.

As for the roadie bike, I'd take a look at this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/moser-bikes-speed-sora/

Sora groupset, carbon fork, Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels. All fairly good stuff, to be honest.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Welcome back! So nice to hear from you again .... will think about the bikes a bit.
  • linsen
    Thank you all! I feel a fraud really as haven't commuted on a bike to work since 2010, when I had that big old irritating back surgery, and actually cruise around mostly on my black Pashley which I bought myself for my 40th last year.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    welcome back!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    gabriel959 wrote:
    welcome back!

Indeed, hope the whole back thing is behind you now... *ahem* and that you are once again enjoying the two wheeled life!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    linsen wrote:
    ..... ahem, so to speak.

Baboom!

Good to see you haven't forgotten how this place works. Single entendres only, please. It's all this lot can do to keep up with those...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    Ah Greg it's been a while. How the devil are you?
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Older, probably less wise though, back's ok these days, legs can be a bit frail, stupidly bracketing bike rides with swims and runs, amusingly not quite as crocked as ITB these days (HAHA!), tied to a financial treadmill that only ever seems to get faster...

You know, much the same as always.

On your bike question, have a look at this. Mrs 66 and 66 minor have Boardman Fi bikes, and love them.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • linsen
    Hmm that looks good but I am restricted to what is available on bikereplacement.co.uk it seems. They have Felt, Giant, loads of Cannondales, GT, Merida (?) and even have a Bianchi (should they stick to road?).

As for me, I barely ride anymore at any speed - I went full time after divorce and never have any time for anything any more. Moved son to my school so the cycle commute is now off the agenda for another three years. I'm also still pretty petrified of falling off and breaking my back again (although four years after surgery it doesn't hurt continually any longer).