Car roof bars & bike rack

postie90
postie90 Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking to buy a set off roof bars and bike rack so I can go further a field with the bike, 1st off I didn't realise how expensive the kit is.. Lol, I have a question thou with the bikes on the roof is it ok to do motorway miles and at what speed, daft question I know but I don't see many bikes on car roofs going up and the motorway... Cheers...

Comments

• Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Go for a towbar mounted rack; IMHO much more secure and obviously less drag.

Regarding speed, I have heard rumours that you should only do 50mph with racks trailers etc, but I have never seen it written down specifically for racks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They work fine at more or less legal speeds. I've had Ebay cheapies and Thule, no issues with either except Thule was much easier to use.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I've just bought the Thule 4 bike carrier that latches onto my tow ball. £95 from wiggle plus £20 from halfords for a light board. Just got back from holiday carrying 2 adults and 2 kids bikes (20" wheels) and no issues. Not sure if you'd get 4 adults bike on them without removing wheels etc.

I must admit the thought of a rack bolting to a tow ball with one bolt didn't fill my with confidence, but I have to say the thing is rock solid. The only movement you get is the flex in the rack itself.

If money is not an issue thule's platform style tow bal racks look great but they are £300 upwards.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Buzz Rack Quattro is a bargain and very very sturdy
  • postie90
    I don't have a tow ball so it's on the roof, going to think about it...
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    My bike gets thrown on the roof rack all the time - don't have a carrier so I just tie it down (student poverty <3). No issues with regards to speed, and it sees plenty motorway travel, it's survived 5 hour drives with no damage,scratch, or getting covered in crap.
  • marcus'73
    marcus'73 Posts: 41
    I use roof mounted bike racks all the time and have done from the south coast to Scotland at motorway speeds without issue several times (does destroy your fuel economy though!) I have Thule 591's and they have been faultless. The only proviso on that is that a slack angled bike it might be marginal for fitting depending on your frame arrangement - as on my set up in order to clamp my frame properly the front clamp for the wheel is at max forward extension, my bike is only a 18' frame and only has a 130mm fork up front. It fit's more XC angled bikes really well, I just use a packing strap to steady mine as it grabs my frame low down. So It would be worth trying to strap your bike to one if you can before you buy.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have Thule Aero bars with Proride bike carriers and it's solid. I got mine much cheaper than rrp by shopping around on the web.
    I have done a few thousand miles with bikes on the roof, occasionally at well over the motorway speed limit and no problems.
    The aero bars are near silent at high speed.
    Fuel economy is effected a little, I loose around 2mpg, 5mpg if I leave race number boards on bikes!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Another one here for Thule 591 carrier with Thule bars. I can fit my XL Mega AM on it with no problems and it's solid. Have done motorway speeds without a hitch.

Have cheaper Mont Blanc ones on my roof bars as well but the Thule is worth the extra money for its ease of use and the fit.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • postie90
    Thanks for all the above replys, Thule is the best bet, will start looking at prices...
  • Thule wingbars and 591's here too.

Your best bet for the 591 carriers is eBay. That's where mine came from!

I just change cars and had to buy new bars/clamps. Got wingbars discounted at halfords, and so far, so good!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    +1 for 591 carriers, they're bombproof.

When it comes to roof bars, make sure you get decent ones with proper fittings as intended by the car manufacturer, not cheap ones that just clamp on the edges of the roof.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Thule 591 + whispbars. These fit between the roof bars on your car rather than on top so they are a bit more aesthetically pleasing. Quiet, easy to use, secure, leave then on all the time with no issues