Can anyone tell me how these 3 bikes compare?

sattaman
sattaman Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
XL Scott Scale 960 2014 Mountain Bike £999
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec056379

XL BMC Teamelite TE03 Deore 2013 Mountain Bike for £999 reduced from £1499
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... e-ec043677

GIANT XTC COMPOSITE 29ER 3 £999 from £1500
http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s155p4 ... 9ER-3-2013

Are the more heavily discounted ones better bikes?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Better deal than any - your Pauls Cycles link doesn't work though.
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPWDEO/o ... ntain-bike
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Look at the Parkwood as linked to by CD, fantastic fork and a reverb dropper post for sub £1k is blinding value.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    it's insane when you look at those bikes together...the On-One deal is in a completely different league!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    Yeah premiership as opposed to 3rd division!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sattaman
    What would you recommend if I need a larger frame?
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    sattaman wrote:
    What would you recommend if I need a larger frame?

Large Parkwood?

How large a frame do you need?
  • sattaman
    Maybe an XL. I'm trying one the Scott in Evans tomorrow. Unfortunately my work has said they won't do a different cycle to work scheme so I'm limited to halfords or Evans, I did ask about on one
  • mcnultycop
    How tall are you?
  • sattaman
    6 foot 4 with a 34" inner leg
  • mcnultycop
    I'd get to Yorkshire and sit on a large Parkwood.
  • The Rookie
    sattaman wrote:
    Maybe an XL. I'm trying one the Scott in Evans tomorrow. Unfortunately my work has said they won't do a different cycle to work scheme so I'm limited to halfords or Evans, I did ask about on one
    To be honest, be sure you know the true saving for R2W, you'll get a better deal buying the Parkwood on a zero interest credit card than those on C2W.
  • sattaman
    Ok I am considering it. I hope you don't all work for on one.

Is it better than this? I do like the look of the cube bikes.

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s2p421 ... TC-SL-2012
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Only thing id say is that the Scale/Teamlite/XTC are more XC focused bikes, lighter and what not. The Parkwood is a more burly trail bike. Well specced is one thing, but if you don't want a dropper post it's pretty useless.
  • mcnultycop
    That Cube looks like an ace XC bike.
  • sattaman
    Ok, so am I right in thinking the cube would be fine to take on trails such as the marin? The main difference is they're lighter abd have 20mm less suspension? I wouldn't be too fussed about having to adjust my seat height. I'm thinking I'll probably be using it to commute on too, I was originally thiinking I was going to carry on using my Boardman hybrid , but I think it's too small for me really.
  • sattaman
    Just found this, not sure how much of it applies as isnt the exact same model. Is the cube more of a XC Racing bike? Choosing a bike seems like such hard work!

http://bikemagic.com/news/cube-reaction ... eview.html
  • sattaman
    I'm also wondering whether its the right move going for a 26"wheels on a XC
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Assuming your price range is up to £1500 most bikes will be of similar spec and value. I would just go into a good sized Evans and see what they suggest, that way you can test ride the ones that interest you. The ride, look and feel of a bike are as important as the spec and price.

I was looking for a decent XC hardtail last year and after a test ride ended up with a Carve Comp as it had a decent frame, forks and wheels for my needs. The rest of the stuff will be upgraded as it wears out. The only real change so far is fitting XT disc brakes which are a good improvement. The bike is fast on single track, fire roads and rougher trails. Due to the stiff frame it can beat you up a little and it is a 29er so the handling while good is not as agile as the 26er XC Hardtail it replaced. The main thing is to take a bit of time to get the right bike for you.
  • sattaman
    Is tricky as non of the bike shops near me have stock of bikes in my size. Maybe I need to try and find a huge bike store.. not sure where that will be though.

The Evans in Birmingham weren't helpful at all, they just tried to convince me that I should go for a size that was too small for me of a bike they had in stock.

If I could find a shop with lots of bikes in my size, that I could try that would be ideal, does that exist for tall people?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    sattaman wrote:
    I'm also wondering whether its the right move going for a 26"wheels on a XC

If you want an XC focused bike these days I'd get a 29er.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    sattaman wrote:
    Is tricky as non of the bike shops near me have stock of bikes in my size. Maybe I need to try and find a huge bike store.. not sure where that will be though.

The Evans in Birmingham weren't helpful at all, they just tried to convince me that I should go for a size that was too small for me of a bike they had in stock.

If I could find a shop with lots of bikes in my size, that I could try that would be ideal, does that exist for tall people?

I am over 6ft6 and from my experience you have little chance of having any bikes in stock. My cycling in seam is about 36.5" (35" inside leg jeans) so I am on the limit of most normal bike ranges. That's why I chose the Carve in the end as it was a 23" frame. First time a bike has just fitted me with no changes. Poor bike shops will try to "fit" taller riders on bikes that are too small for them. If you are very tall there are a lot less bikes to choose from unfortunately apart from Specialized etc.