Fulcrum Quattro Front Wheel Hub Disassembly

cpc1985
cpc1985 Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a set of Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels. When cleaning/servicing my bike I noticed a slight grinding with the front wheel (FW) when rotating. I've done considerable kilometres through all sorts of weather, so I set out to disassemble, re-grease and possibly replace bearings.

I was successfully able to replace bearing and re-grease my Shimano R500's a while back but I'm stumped with the Fulcrum set up. The Fulcrum FW has sealed bearings and the locknuts are cylindrical and move freely/independently of each other and do not unscrew. They may have an o-ring arrangement? I am unable to get the axle out and am nervous about using force. I have checked Fulcrum's website, youtube and various forums with no specific disassembly instructions found.

If you know how to disassemble/remove the axle of a Fulcrum Quattro FW please let me know! Thanks

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Probably the same approach as Campagnolo Khamsins - no problem finding instructions on how to do those on line. Irrc, behind the dust cover there is a not very obvious spring clip to remove which then allows the axle out. The bearings then came out easily.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cpc1985
    cpc1985 Posts: 4
    Hi Rolf F,

Thanks for getting back to me. You were correct in regard to similarity with the Campagnolo wheels. I did not actually know that Campagnolo wholly owns Fulcrum until I looked into it.

Exception was that these do not have a circlip. I ended up going into my local shop and they confirmed what I thought. To remove the locknuts on the Fulcrum Quattro front wheel the locknut simply needs to be carefully, but forcefully pulled out of the axle.The locknuts have an o-ring (rubber washer) embedded which sits within the axle in a groove. I found that a size 16 cone spanner fitted well and I was able to prize the locknuts off. Once these are removed the hub disassembly is similar to most other wheels.

I was reluctant to go with force, but in this instance I was being to coy!