TdF. Stage 1 Leeds to Harrogate.

Fintan21
Fintan21 Posts: 7
Is the route already marked? If I ride it this weekend (7/8 June) will there be groups on the road?

Comments

• Yes, there are smallish (permanent) white signs with the Grand Depart logo on.
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Hi,

There is a actual CFC Sportive on Sunday running the Stage 1 (it is fully booked by the way)

http://www.cyclistsfc.org.uk/events/eta ... 4/route-2/

Expect to be a massive turn out as there has been a huge amount of cyclist running this route over the last few months which has meant police issuing safety notices as there has been a few accidents!

Hopefully I will be out on Sunday too :-)
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I'm hoping to do it on the 21/22nd weather permitting. Probably starting in Reeth and doing a 100 mile circular route 1/3 of it not on the course.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    About 1400 on the Etape du Yorkshire on Sunday.

Doubt that the route would be marked yet - I've not seen anything apart from notices of closures for resurfacing! Not exactly difficult route finding for the most part though.

Edit - oops, clearly Andy from Embsay is more up to date than me!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Edit - oops, clearly Andy from Embsay is more up to date than me!

These are permanent road signs - quite small, a white background with a Grand Depart logo on them - they've been up for a few weeks now round Skipton/Harrogate/Ripon etc.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    have a look on cycol tours they are doing ride stage 1 and stage 2 with full support car and out riders, than back in hotel massage and dinner every night
    http://www.rendezvous-skipton.co.uk/ind ... and-depart

i will be doing it end of june
  • Fintan21
    Fintan21 Posts: 7
    Thank you all for your replies. Despite the sportive being closed, I may make it to Leeds anyway.
  • SR7492
    SR7492 Posts: 190
    Did you do it?

What a ride - EPIC! Managed it in 7 hours and 25 min; which is not bad!

What a buzz having so many other cyclists; there was pelotons after pelotons :-)

The only gripe is that they had the feed stops at the wrong places; each time before the first 2 big climbs (especially the Hawes climb)

The scenery is lush but the descents are fast but very dangerous; we saw 3 riders go down (hope they are ok)

Can't wait to wait to watch the pro's on the 5th!
  • markhewitt1978
    Does anyone know what the parking situation is in Leyburn market place? I'm trying to get together a group to do a TdF ride this weekend, but as it's often like herding cats it needs to be somewhere obvious for us all to meet.
  • markhewitt1978
    Is the route now well signposted? So once I get on the route just a matter of following the signs?