1 x 10 setup

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, so ive got my new bike, i got the shop to take off the big ring and the granny ring, and im gonna drop on a narrow wide ring when it arrives, ive been using it for now with the the normal middle ring, but when i try and put power down the rear gears try to shift, ive tried altering the limit screws, but doesnt make much odds.

Is a sram x9 short cage mech able to take a 34t chainring and a 11-36 cassette? (currently 30t chainring)

Any tips on trying to sort this out? as its bugging me....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the bike is a?

A fully?

Poor cable routing.

Put bike into gear 5 stand along side and compress the suspension watching the rear mech cage. Moves?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dawesy92
    Sorry, its a Trek Remedy 7

Hoping its not the cable routing, as it brand new.

I will have to have a look the suspension part tomorrow, going to see if i can bike it to work tomorrow and hopfully get the new chainring on if it gets delievered,

Its an X9 10speed short cage mech if that helps, not sure if its a sram or shimano cassette.. would that make a difference?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cassette makes no odds.

Why did you adjust the limit screws? Do you understand what they are for?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    Yes, I, got it shifting okay, but just jumps about when putting and form of power down..
  • The Rookie
    If you understand what the limit screws are for, why did you adjust them?

Most likely the cable tension isn't spot on and your getting some ghost shifting, but also check the rear suspension is only working in the intended plane as any sideways movement can give ghost shifting.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers, and cause on my hard tail when it wasnt shifting just right, I adjusted the h limit screw and it was just perfect so wondered if it wasnt set in yhe right place thats all.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Dawesy92 wrote:

Any tips on trying to sort this out? as its bugging me....

its a new bike, take it back to the shop :wink:
  • The Rookie
    Dawesy92 wrote:
    Okay cheers, and cause on my hard tail when it wasnt shifting just right, I adjusted the h limit screw and it was just perfect so wondered if it wasnt set in yhe right place thats all.
    The h screw will only stop it over shifting off the end of the cassette and will only affect selection of that one gear.

Why not start at the beginning and completely reindex it, follow the guide on Parktools, or as suggested, take it back to the shop.
  • Dawesy92
    Cant really take it back to the shop as its about 200miles away from where I live. I think ill do as you suggest and re-set all the gears and my 34t chainring has just been delivered to work so that needa dropping on too.. thanks Rookie! :)
  • The Rookie
    Make sure the chain is sized right as the very first step!
  • Dawesy92
    I shall be doing, is the best was to size a chain on full suspension bikes to fully depress the rear shock??

Just checking im right on this..
  • The Rookie
    You have to have the rear suspension in the position that requires the longest chain which will probably be at full compression.