Lock out recon gold forks without using poplock?

Jez3113
Jez3113 Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
My Rockshox Recon Gold forks have a spring loaded lockout dial that is designed to work with poplock remote. I've never attached the poplock because i didn't want the extra clutter on my handlebars. I want to be able to lock out the forks, but I can't manually twist the dial to lock the forks because the spring loaded dial springs back. is there a way i can adapt the dial to make it lock out manually or is there a kit that replaces my spring loaded dial so i can just reach down and twist to lock?

Really appreciate your thoughts..

Jerry

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That won't work. The spring is in the middle of the damper. Either that needs replacing, or you need to try and get the spring out.
  • As supersonic says you'll need to remove the spring inside the damper unit first which stops the lockout dial returning to the locked-out position. I went through 2 poplock remotes (which are basically made of cheese) on my 2013 Reba solo airs so needed a way to manually lock the forks as the default position is locked when the remote is removed. It's a pretty straight forward job, plenty of vids on YouTube about servicing damper units. Just remember that once you remove the damper unit the top cap on it has a reverse thread. Once that's off you'll be able to remove the spring quite easily. When reassembled you could then opt for the dial as bailsofhay suggests. Instead (and at zero cost) I used a brake pad split pin (Shimano type), secured around the blue remote cable spool on the top of the forks and bent it round to give a rudimentary lever on the side. I then filed the other end of the split pin down a bit and tucked it back inside the blue cable spool. Bit of a bodge but works perfectly. I can send a pic or more detailed instructions if you want.
  • Jez3113
    Jez3113 Posts: 12
    Thanks guys, this is exactly the info i was hoping for. YatelyChap - if you have a photo of your 'bodge' then i'd be keen to see it. Don't worry about blow by blow instructions, but a picture so i can visualise the end result will be really useful.
  • No problem. Here's a couple of pics to give you an idea of what I did. If you need any further guidance on the damper spring removal then just let me know, although bear in mind there may be some differences between the Reba and Recon versions.

photo1_zps6980812e.jpg

photo2_zps430426f8.jpg