BB movement

Danwar
Danwar Posts: 3
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all, need some advice from some experts here as all this is new to me

I have a 2014 Scott Voltage FR20, the bike has been used for its first time last weekend (approx. 4 hours). I came to clean the bike and lube the gears up and noticed that when the cranks are around the horizontal position there is very slight play in the bottom bracket (by slight I mean less than 1mm) if you hold the end of the crank and push and pull on them towards you when facing the bike side on.

I removed the chain and checked the cranks were tight. There is no noises or roughness felt when you spin the crank and all seems nice a free and smooth, just this tiny amount of play.

Like I said the bike is brand new, I am first owner and it has only been used once so far, is there a problem here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    And the cranks and BB are.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Danwar
    Danwar Posts: 3
    Truvativ Howitzer XR BB and Truvativ Rucktion cranks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    First step is to check the crank retaining bolts are tight then.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Or take it back to where it was purchased and show them!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)