synapse 105 alloy upgrades

chilievans
chilievans Posts: 90
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,
I bought my bike as a way of getting faster on my mtb and commuting to work and what's happened is that I bloody love it. I barley touch the mtb and I've just completed my first 70 mile ride.
As I'm getting better I'm thinking of upgrading components as the frame seems pretty good and making it a bit lighter in the process.
So the question is have any of you guys been in the same position and what did you upgrade first?
can`t stop addicted to the shindig......

Comments

• MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    I have an alloy Synapse in Tiagra flavour.

Wheels/tyres generally the first port of call. Once the Luganos are dead, get some nicer folding tyres. I got on well with Schwalbe Durano and Vittoria Open Pavé. RS10's are a perfectly good wheel for what they are, but a nice set of handbuilt wheels would be a worthy upgrade. I found the stock bartape awful, like riding with shag carpet under my mitts. The stock brakes aren't great either, Shimano R650 with SwissStop pads a serious upgrade.

Keep a half eye out for a lighter chainset too, if you can get one cheap. The 'dale finishing kit isn't bad by any means, comparable to most entry/mid alloy kit. Worth upgrading if you see something that suits you better going cheap, but not really worth spending big on.