Kysrium freehub lifespan?

JonEdwards
JonEdwards Posts: 452
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I've got a pair of 2005 Ksyrium SL wheels. The first freehub lasted until late Autumn last year (at about 5k miles/year), when it started making that horrible buzzing noise/vibration when freewheeling that signals that the bushing on the inner end has got too sloppy and the pawls are catching on the ratchet. (I've had a set of Crossmaxes for a while, so it's not a new phenomenon).

However the new freehub has also packed up - started buzzing a couple of rides ago. I stripped and cleaned it, which got me another 100miles or so, but on the last ride it got really bad and the drag ended up with me dropping the chain 4 times. There's a couple of mm wobble in the cassette at the inner end.

Does this sound a reasonable lifespan? Is there another reason for the buzz? The wheels are in decent nick, other than age, although the rims must be pretty worn by now. £35 gets me a new freehub body, but if it's only gonna last 6 months of moderate riding before dying, then I'd rather spend on some new wheels.

Thoughts?

Thanks...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    WIth Mavic the pawls sit on the axle, have you replaced the pawls & springs too or just the free hub? If the pawls are worn a new freehub won't make them new again
    left the forum March 2023
  • JonEdwards
    Pawls and springs were replaced with the freehub.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Maybe the newer freehubs don't go on well with the older models... at some point they replaced one of the bearings with a bushing, not sure if it was before or after 2005
    left the forum March 2023
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Ksyrium freehubs should last at least as long as any other. But you do have to maintain them. See the first couple of lines on this page: http://pedal.norvil.net/service/maviccosmos/freehub.php. Not wanting to leap to conclusions but, given that the original one fitted at the factory lasted quite a long time and the second failed very quickly, did you follow the recommended procedure?
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Ive got 2006 SL,s and just have the freehub off every few thousand miles to oil the bushing and its still fine after 17,000 miles , easy job takes about 15 mins so no excuse to neglect them, if you do the hub itself will wear and then its probably beyond saving.
  • JonEdwards
    Well as ever, these things tend to have a bleeding obvious (tm) reason for happening....

14353084015_3aa3c6dd4e.jpg

Impressed that the bike was still rideable despite having a broken axle. That's one up on the mighty Hope. (I've had to push a number of MTBers home when I've been guiding and their Pro2 axles have snapped in half, either losing them all drive or turning them into a fixie)

The nice people in Hewitts had a replacement on the shelf though, so I'm sorted.
  • brianonyx
    brianonyx Posts: 170
    I think mine have done 9k miles.