Chain Slip Guard

spet1895
spet1895 Posts: 2
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Today my chain slipped off the front rings while under a fair bit of force. The chain bit right through a metallic plate that is stuck on the chainstay of my frame, behind the chainrings (I imagine to protect the carbon frame in exactly this scenario).

I'm not sure whether that plate is actually metal or a sort of plastic, but in the state it's now in it won't provide proper protection to my frame if the chain comes off again. It looks pretty mangled and I had to bend some of it to stop it rubbing my chainring bolts.

Any ideas:
(a) what that little plate is called and where I can buy another one
(b) tips for getting it off and fitting another (it seems to be glued on, not screwed in)

Cheers

Comments

• Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Get a chain catcher?

Also, sounds odd that your chain would come off like that... Were you shifting at the time?
  • Barrington12
    Barrington12 Posts: 358
    Sounds as though it's just a frame protector, and it's there to prevent damage or scratches/chips to your frame in this situation. It is usually just a self-adhesive stick-on job so should be pretty easy to remove and replace with a new one.
    Previous reply suggested fitting a chain catcher (costs approx £15) and I recommend this too, to prevent any damage due to a chain dropping off your small chain ring. Some people don't like them or think them unnecessary (extra weight of course, but probably only 70g!) but I have one fitted to both my road bikes for peace of mind.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    I just fitted a Deda Dog Fang (chaincatcher) for less than £5. Doesn't fit carbon frames with flared-bottom seat tubes but others are available for this type of frame.