£1,500 race-orientated bike 0% finance

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I can't get bike to work through my company and having just had by pride and joy stolen, I am after a new bike. I had just got into racing, although after getting whipped I had gone back to training and keen to start again, so want something racy for chaingangs for the time being, crits down the line and centuries when I feel like it.

I am ok going for finance as it will also be my primary mode of transport to and from work in all weather, so up to £1500 is only a small amount more than a zone 1-2 travelcard if I aim to settle in 6 months (normal 0% financing arrangements).

Can't really see past the CAAD10 105 (is the 2014 worth it over the 2013 for £200 less?) (Primera and Pauls both do 0% over 6m) having ridden a friends supersix evo hi-mod and loved the aggressive position, and found it actually quite comfy!

Anything I'm missing from somewhere who offers the same finance deals? Tempted by the Tarmac, but can I get the Fact 10r frame for that price with 105, or is it even worth it over the 9r equivalent?

Unfortunately Giant bikes just do nothing for me. Any help appreciated.

For sizing, the Hi-Mod was a 56 with a slammed stem, which made it slightly lower than my previous bike. I'm 6ft and 73kg.

My old bike is here, for sizing (viewtopic.php?t=12874597&p=17828431) - I changed the saddle position after that photo was taken so was setback a bit and level!

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Can you not find one of those credit card 0% on new purchase offer thingies? Will give you a wider choice. You could even buy a frame and components that way.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    What was the one that got nicked before the Coppi? Not having much luck really are you!? How about a Ribble 872? You could spec one with Ultegra for £1500. I think they do finance too.
  • Anonymous
    Yep. Not had the greatest run of luck, have been complacent, to be honest. Fortunately I haven't made great financial losses, but had quite a sentimental attachment to the Coppi.

Not quite getting the responses I was hoping for, but basically looking around for some good, racey 56cm bikes in the £1,500 (or less) bracket from places offering 0% finance.

Also seen a 2013 Scott Foil 30 which looks seriously good.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    coriordan wrote:
    Yep. Not had the greatest run of luck, have been complacent, to be honest. Fortunately I haven't made great financial losses, but had quite a sentimental attachment to the Coppi.

Not quite getting the responses I was hoping for, but basically looking around for some good, racey 56cm bikes in the £1,500 (or less) bracket from places offering 0% finance.

Yep If I was you at the moment, I would definitely go with that at £1599.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    coriordan wrote:

Sounds like you want us to confirm what you already know. You tried a foil, liked it, there is one at the right price. Buy it! The 872 I suggested is a sensible option by the way. With Ultegra and decent wheels you would have a 7.5kg race ready bike.
  • murf1480
    murf1480 Posts: 117
    coriordan wrote:
    Hi,
    I can't get bike to work through my company and having just had by pride and joy stolen, I am after a new bike. I had just got into racing, although after getting whipped I had gone back to training and keen to start again, so want something racy for chaingangs for the time being, crits down the line and centuries when I feel like it.

I am ok going for finance as it will also be my primary mode of transport to and from work in all weather, so up to £1500 is only a small amount more than a zone 1-2 travelcard if I aim to settle in 6 months (normal 0% financing arrangements).

Can't really see past the CAAD10 105 (is the 2014 worth it over the 2013 for £200 less?) (Primera and Pauls both do 0% over 6m) having ridden a friends supersix evo hi-mod and loved the aggressive position, and found it actually quite comfy!

Anything I'm missing from somewhere who offers the same finance deals? Tempted by the Tarmac, but can I get the Fact 10r frame for that price with 105, or is it even worth it over the 9r equivalent?

Unfortunately Giant bikes just do nothing for me. Any help appreciated.

For sizing, the Hi-Mod was a 56 with a slammed stem, which made it slightly lower than my previous bike. I'm 6ft and 73kg.

My old bike is here, for sizing (viewtopic.php?t=12874597&p=17828431) - I changed the saddle position after that photo was taken so was setback a bit and level!

http://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-trent ... 59015.html

I raced on one of these all last season
  • Anonymous
    I certainly don't have my mind made up and am all ears for a cheaper aluminium or lesser known bargain (thanks murf).

I was set on the caad10 when I posted first and since saw the foil so added that, which I'll admit is top of the list now, but is it worth it over the '13 Caad10?
    Never ridden the foil, but at 1550 or so it does seem like an absolute bargain!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    CAAD10 Ultegra from Westbrooks - £1300. I got mine from there last year. Great service and a great bike, which I use for racing on.

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/cannon ... cJgKjw_wcB

Not interest free but phone 'em, they may be able to sort something out or even discount the bike by the cost of the finance.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Anonymous
    Looks good, and I would have taken it, but out of stock except in a 50cm!

Moser also looks nice, thanks for that
  • Anonymous
    6 months interest free? Hardly seems worth bothering. You will have paid for it by Xmas.

As has been said, you could probably get 18 months on a card and get something in a sale if you are genuinely open to suggestions on the bike.

I am 6'1" (although height is not everything) and find 56cm Cannondales quite big.
    If you want it for racing would something a little smaller not be better?
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    credit card with 0%
    Kinesis Aithien frameset £560
    6800 groupset £500
    handmade wheelset of your spec £350
    bars stem pedals and saddle of your choice £200

slightly over budget but no need for swapping out bits to make it fit/work for you.
  • jordan_217
    Another CAAD10, in team colors and with 105 spec:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p523 ... 0-105-2013
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Anonymous
    That's the one I'm looking at! Is there any (real) difference between 2013 and 2014 spec?
  • jordan_217
    The only difference in CAAD10 revisions are the coulours AFAIK.

Edit: Looks like the 2013 105 has 105 brakes; 2014 has Tektro. Wheels go from RS10 > RS11 but that's just because Shimano changed them. Other than that, much the same.
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    credit card with 0%
    Kinesis Aithien frameset £560
    6800 groupset £500
    handmade wheelset of your spec £350
    bars stem pedals and saddle of your choice £200

slightly over budget but no need for swapping out bits to make it fit/work for you.

This is definitely an option worth considering. Looks like a real speed machine and is a little bit different.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I don't see how any of these can be your primary mean of transport day in day out in all weathers as you say and be your best bike and be your race bike. I would get two bikes, one can be a beater you use when the roads are crap and wet and the other can be a new bike for everything else. The problem with having one good bike only and not being a great mechanic yourself ( :wink: ) is that you will spend a lot of money replacing parts that wear prematurely (BB bearings, headset bearings, hub bearings, cables, pads... ) and it will be off duty a lot of the time while these parts are being replaced
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    What are you saying, Ugo? I am a formidable mechanic! (except wheelbuilding)

I think I have lost a max of 6 days with my bike off the road due to maintenance, and that was when I was having my wheels rebuilt on 2 separate occasions, which I think is a legit excuse.

Just read the road.cc review of the kinesis and it does look lovely, if not a little harsh, but then my old bike wasn't a magic carpet by any stretch of the imagination. I think I would probably go 105 on it though to keep costs down.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    coriordan wrote:
    What are you saying, Ugo? I am a formidable mechanic! (except wheelbuilding)

I think I have lost a max of 6 days with my bike off the road due to maintenance, and that was when I was having my wheels rebuilt on 2 separate occasions, which I think is a legit excuse.

Your old bike was fitted with very durable cartridge solutions... modern exposed press fit bearings/integrated headsets and stuff last less that a Gillette blade stays sharp if you ride them in all weathers....
    Of course you have the tools to replace BB30 bearings yourself or fit/remove a crown race... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    With fluff as soft as mine, the blades stay sharp for ages!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I don't see how any of these can be your primary mean of transport day in day out in all weathers as you say and be your best bike and be your race bike. I would get two bikes, one can be a beater you use when the roads are crap and wet and the other can be a new bike for everything else. The problem with having one good bike only and not being a great mechanic yourself ( :wink: ) is that you will spend a lot of money replacing parts that wear prematurely (BB bearings, headset bearings, hub bearings, cables, pads... ) and it will be off duty a lot of the time while these parts are being replaced

And what would you suggest as a daily bike for the OP!? Halfords TDF? Triban 3? etc...

I have one bike (Ultimate AL), it get's abused in all weathers and I've only stripped it once in two years to re-grease headset / bb etc.... Everything runs smooth and it's a joy to ride. If I raced, I seriously doubt I'd be much faster on a "race day" bike, but it would probably feel a bit special when riding.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Foil should work for you if you want to go that way. On my second now since crashing my first heavily. Moved to the 56 Foil from a 56 Supersix 18 months ago and it fits fine. Speaking from personal experience, Ugo is wrong - until I crashed it, I had absolutely no problems whatsoever using the Foil as my only bike for over 6000 miles in all weathers, commuting and hammering around at weekends. It's also perfectly fine for centuries, etapes, etc.
  • fishyweb
    fishyweb Posts: 173
    I bought one of these http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/trek- ... -2013.html earlier this year - a £2k bike for 1399 (was 1499 when I bought :roll: ) but they only have a 56cm left. Great bike for £2k, let alone at this price.
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/287459
    Member of http://www.UKnetrunner.co.UK - the greatest online affiliated running club
  • Anonymous
    Just can't get excited about a Trek, sadly. The Kinesis looks really good.
  • Hargroves do 0% interest free on most 2014 bikes and it is a 10 minute job to get it all done and dusted online. I have a Super Six Evo that I use everyday rain or shine, and before that a 2k Specialized Roubaix that clocked up 12k in 2 years all weathers. I have a "beater" (Boradman CX) but barely ride it as it is not much fun!

I think the Cannondale SuperSix Evo 105 looks like a decent racey bike and for me the must have straight top tube!

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/cannon ... -bike.html

Decent review here http://road.cc/content/review/113257-ca ... -road-bike