Torn between Felt F95 and Z95

redrabbit
redrabbit Posts: 95
edited June 2014 in Road beginners
First road bike purchase and I've narrowed it down to these too.

I plan to use the bike for sportives and cycling for fun and fitness.

I was all set to get the Z95 but then saw the F95. Both meet my specification needs.

Which one is best for a new road cyclist?

Comments

• simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    How old and how flexible are you? Are you used to riding drop bar bikes anyway? The Z is the sportive endurance type bike, but that's not to say the F can't do it either. The F will be more lively and fun to ride, more direct and good sprinting - car analogy the Lotus. If you want that over comfort then look at the F. The Z will be a bit duller, but ultimately more forgiving and comfortable on longer rides - The Merc etc. One thing I say to some people is how flexible are you? Can you touch your toes easy or put the palms of your hands flat on the floor bending over then the F may not seem to racey for you anyway. If like me you're not that flexible then try the Z. If also like me you have short legs for your height, the sloping top tube of the Z helps me with getting the right stand over height without dropping down to too small a size bike.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I have a Felt Z4. Love it!
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I thought the the Z was the woman's frame with the sloping top tube?
  • simonj
    Ha ha, no that's the ZxW not plain Z
  • redrabbit
    redrabbit Posts: 95
    Wow, really useful stuff.

I'm into weight lifting but not massively flexible. I can touch the floor bending over but my hamstrings and back are very tight.

Infact I get a lot of back and neck discomfort which is something I need to consider in regards to the bike.
  • Based on what you have written you should be buying the Z95
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced SL 1 Disc 2020
    Giant TCR Advanced 2 2020
    Canyon Lux CF SL 7.0 2019
    Canyon Spectral CF 7.0 2019
    Canyon Speedmax CF 8.0 Di2 2020
    Wattbike Atom V2
    Garmin Edge 530
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I don't agree that ability to touch the floor has any real relevance here. However lack of flexibility neck flexibility may be important. I can't easily touch my toes. If I stretch for a while first I might get close. However my lower back doesn't have any real problem maintaining a low and aerodynamic position. I think plenty riders would say the same. Unfortunately, however, there is another constraint that prevents me getting very aerodynamic on the bike and that is my neck. I lack a little flexibility and tilting my head back so I can see forward from low position causes neck ache and tension in my shoulders after a fairly short period of time. If in doubt the Z version is probably the safer option.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    I've been looking for this thread everywhere, thought it may have been deleted.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I got a Z95 as my first road bike and it seems spot on to me. I'm not the most flexible but the bike is comfortable on rides up to 70km so far for me. I didn't want something too "racy" for my first bike, coming from MTBs and 750mm bars and 45mm stems, but the Z95 has been great. I'm thinking now I've got used to it of dropping out some spacers or flipping the stem downwards.
  • simonj
    My Felt Z came with a Variable Angle stem with a few shims. By changing the shims or the orientation of the shims you can vary the angle between +/- 8, 12 or 16 degs without spacer adjustment. May be an option also.

http://www.felt-stuff.com/promotion/felt-va-alloy-adjustable-stem-3-1.html