tyre width vs rim width

bailsofhay
bailsofhay Posts: 191
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I was wondering if a 16" rim that came with a 2.125" wide tyre can fit a tyre which is 1.375" wide? The rim is a fraction over 1" wide(26.7mm) from outside edge to outside edge.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    16"!!!!!!

Rule of thumb is that as long as the tyre is wider than the internal rim width, it's OK, so yes will be fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bailsofhay
    yeah I know 16"... Its on my daughters scooter which came with ridiculous off road style tyres making it such a pain on pavement she lost interest. I thought slicks may make it easier so she gets some use out of it. Not really MTB forum specific but I thought you guys would know.

Cheers!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yeah, the slicks will be fine......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    bailsofhay wrote:
    yeah I know 16"... Its on my daughters scooter which came with ridiculous off road style tyres making it such a pain on pavement she lost interest. I thought slicks may make it easier so she gets some use out of it.

Yeah, I had the same problem with a small bike we were given for my daughter - ridiculous knobbly tyres meant she could never build up any momentum. Swapped them for a pair of something that looks a lot like this, and they made all the difference:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenda-K841-Tyre ... B00G0N48UO
  • bailsofhay
    Cheers for the link Jimothy, perfect in fact, I was looking at something quite similar though thinner and way more expensive. Children don't 'need' Schwalbe marathon plus tyres on a scooter do they?......... :wink: