Cube reaction carbon dropout wear

plankatron
plankatron Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in MTB general
The wheel on my less than one year old carbon cube reaction is almost rubbing the chainstay on the non drive side and miles away from the chainstay on the drive side. I have had the wheel checked and is dished correctly.

On inspection of the dropouts they appear to have worn, causing the wheel to sit in a slightly different place/angle so is now angled towards the non drive side chainstay.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I shall take it back to the cube dealer and see what they say.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    How can a drop out wear? The wheel is locked in place.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Seized bearings or badly adjusted cones can cause the axle to rotate in the dropouts and wear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    On one side?
  • cooldad
    On one side?
    plankatron wrote:
    On inspection of the dropouts they appear to have worn, causing the wheel to sit in a slightly different place/angle so is now angled towards the non drive side chainstay.
    ?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    OK - they. Suppose we await Mr plankatron to explain further. One drop out is possibly the hanger.
  • plankatron
    The thread on the axle has worn grooves into the drop out meaning it is located deeper into the dropout than when new. both sides have worn, but perhaps not equally. This also has the effect of seating the disc slightly higher in the caliper.

I would ave thought carbon frames would have had a metal strip in the dropouts to prevent this.

I'm just curious if this is the norm with carbon frames. Seems poor to me.
  • Chunkers1980
    Depends on the frame I suppose. I'd try and slot it out abit
  • cooldad
    So
    cooldad wrote:
    Seized bearings or badly adjusted cones can cause the axle to rotate in the dropouts and wear.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • plankatron
    No, it's not seized bearings. It's the axle eating into the carbon because there is no aluminium protective strip to stop it from doing so in the relatively soft carbon.

Has anyone else experienced this? Had any joy on a warranty replacement?
  • Chunkers1980
    if it can't (and hasn't) move then how is this possible?

You could stick some layers of epoxy resin in there.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    Sounds to me like the bike was ran with a less that tight rear QR at some point.
  • Hi, I had a cube reaction hpc carbon that had a similar problem. The dropouts had a sort of steel washer bonded into the frame which broke on one side causing the wheel to sit at an angle which caused the gears to skip. I took it to my local Cube dealer and the frame was knackered as they couldn't bond another steel washer into the dropout. Gutted.
    Even worse ,I wasn't the original purchaser of the frame so I had to replace it at my cost. I had previously had a reaction gtc frame replaced under warranty due a crack at the bottom of the seat tube area and I tried to do a warranty claim ( a bit cheeky but no luck ). I don't know if the new frames haven't got the steel washer type shim in the dropout but if you are the original purchaser I would suggest getting in touch with the dealer to see if they can help. I have found cube to be pretty reasonable in these situations if a bit slow.
    Good luck - hope you get it sorted as it's crap if you've got to buy a new frame and rebuild
    On the flip side I decided to get a 2013 hpc elite frame and I love it.
  • plankatron
    Update: Frame to be replaced under warranty.
  • plankatron wrote:
    Update: Frame to be replaced under warranty.
    Annoying as the bike is off the road for a bit, but a successful outcome.
    I assume that means that they see it as a defect?
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)