Clutch derailleur

mxh
mxh Posts: 51
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
My Shimano XT RD got 'stuck' the other day, meaning that the cage wouldn't move and therefore wouldn't take up the chain slack.

I pulled apart the clutch (first time I've done this) and it seems that water has got in there and it was all a bit 'gunked up'. All cleaned and re-greased now, although I still had to back off the adjustment of the clutch tension a little to get the cage to move when the clutch was 'on'.

Although it now works again, there doesn't seem to be much difference between 'clutch on' and 'clutch off' - are there any other tips and tricks to servicing the XT clutch setups - I've seen a few bits about the older XTR ones, but would be good to know what grease is recommended (if you should you be using it at all), recommended tensions etc etc

Comments

• Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    did you adjust the tension as per manual?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Should it be greased, and if so did you use the right grease, the clutch is a friction damper and grease has a habit of removing friction (or at least reducing it significantly).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mxh
    mxh Posts: 51
    Uli wrote:
    did you adjust the tension as per manual?

I didn't know there was a manual - I just backed off the tension enough so that the cage would move.
    The Rookie wrote:
    Should it be greased, and if so did you use the right grease

Those were the questions that I was hoping someone might answer!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you read the Shimano technical documentation, I'm on my iPad at the moment so it's a PITA, will check on the laptop later.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.