Change cassette - cage size?

Stephent
Stephent Posts: 27
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking to change campag veloce 12-25 to 13-29, compact FSA 50/34 at front but I'm not sure about cage size and struggling to find anything on net regarding the standard cage that came on the bike.....its only a matter of weeks old but after tiredness /cleat accident resulted in broken arm, I want to give myself lower gears to help with the hills until i build up stamina and fitness.

Some articles Ive read suggest campag short and medium will accommodate 13-29 whilst others say it has to be medium.

Anybody able to help?

Comments

• clickshots
    clickshots Posts: 91
    If you have the short cage Veloce rear dérailleur then the capacity is 27T - you'll need 32T capacity. Campagnolo also recommends using a short cage dérailleur with a maximum cassette cog size of 26T. That said I've seen people with that combination and it worked fine, but it might depend on your bike (the chainstay lengths, etc).

If it was me I'd swap the rear dérailleur, but I'm fussy :-P

Oh and don't forget that you'll probably have to alter the chain length as well.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The latest Campag rear mechs will cope fine with 13-29. It's the older ones which have a potential issue, although several people on this forum have reported no issues using older short mech cages with a 29 cog.
  • Stephent
    Cheers guy

I'll go on assumption then that 2014 model will cope with 13-29 regardless

I've called bike shop too so will chat to them as well.

Thanks
  • Stephent
    Spoke to bike shop - Solid Rock Cycles, Glasgow - manager says bring it up and we'll swap it over at no cost as only done 30 odd miles.

Maybe a wee bit sympathy for broken arm but amazing service nonetheless.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Stephent wrote:
    Spoke to bike shop - Solid Rock Cycles, Glasgow - manager says bring it up and we'll swap it over at no cost as only done 30 odd miles.

Maybe a wee bit sympathy for broken arm but amazing service nonetheless.
    Excellent result and service...kudos to Solid Rock Cycles
  • Stephent
    Cheers Top Bhoy.....fine name my man.