First time fitting a tub

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Ok,so the inevitable happened and I punctured my tub so rather than take it to a proper man to do I decided to put my new one on myself.

All was going well, 2 days prep for each layer on the wheel, tyre stretched and glued and left to dry. Anyway come to fitting and there is the tiniest hop when it comes to the valve which looks as if I a (and I mean the merest) slight angle on it.

1. Does this matter, will I notice any difference?
2. Will it sort itself out?
3. Will I take it to a shop and get a proper man to sort it for me. I am going to the Swiss Alps in 5 weeks and will more than likely be running this wheelset and in the back of my mind is 'I fitted this tyre, chances are its going to kill you' on the descents :-)

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Adam

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,180
    sounds like you didn't apply quite enough tension when mounting and also were a smidge off centre

have a ride on it, if you can't feel any irregularity (which i'm sure will be the case) it'll be ok in that respect

you can check the bond by applying pressure to the tyre with thumbs, go around the entire circumference each side, if the tyre lifts easily you need to pull it off and redo, if it resists the bond is good (again i'd expect it to be ok)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Or take it all off, clean the rim and tub and refit using tape - quicker, cleaner, cheaper, easier.

Collect all the glue scrapings in a pile and set fore to them.

You can do all this while watching a stage of the Giro on youtube and quaffing a nice Barolo or similar,

Job jobbed.

Simplicity and less chance of dead disease striking you.

But that's just me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have found tubs (Vittoria Pave's) having a bit of hop before but it did sort itself out. Tape is the devil's works, witchcraft I say burn the heathens (just kidding).
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Sounds normal. My tubs that were fitted by a man do this and I can't feel it while riding.

Stay away from tape, total nightmare when you have to try and get it off the tyre/rim.
  • Hard to say without seeing it. You often get a bit of misfitting around the valve, depending on the profile of the rims you are using. Sometimes it can 'stand off' from the rim a cm or so either side of the valve, by a mm or two, It shouldn't be a problem, ride it and see what you think. Sounds like you've done the glueing properly so try to roll the tyre off the rim and see how bonded it is. Try tape next time, I use it all the time now, never have a problem removing old tape from the rim either, maybe some rims stick more than others.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sorry Mitch - I don't know what you've been doing to your tape but in all the years that I and friends have been using it we've never had a "nightmare" getting off - it just peels off in one strip - either ojf the tyre or the rim - no residue, no faffing about cleaning, gluing, drying, gluing, drying etc etc.

Cleaner, faster, more efficient.

But that's just me.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Well I've never used it myself. I see the pro mechanics using glue so that's good enough a reason for me to use it too.

I bought a 2nd hand pair of wheels a few years back and the previous owner had used tape. When ub took the tyres off the tape remained firmly stuck to the rims. It took me about a week on and off working with them to get the tape off. Not fun.
  • Matthewfalle
    Sounds like he bodged some random glue/tape combo to me: all tape is, essentially, is double sided sticky tape on a fabric backing: basically double sided duct tape.

Give it a bash and see what you think next time you need to - you may be pleasantly surprised :)

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.