Rear cassette

Davis_XI
Davis_XI Posts: 151
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi

I'm trying to remove an old cassette from an old 27" wheel. Problem is I'm not sure how to get it off. The cassette has a plate holding it in place that has two small holes positioned towards the outer edge of the plate. I can't find any links on how to remove this or any tools that will do the job.

I apologise now for my ignorance. :oops:

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Most different types and instructions here:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... el-removal
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you sure it isn't a screw-on freewheel? Are there shallow splines on the inside?

A photograph would help a lot
  • Davis_XI
    Davis_XI Posts: 151
    Looking closer I can now see the splines. Small holes were throwing me off the scent. Now I guess I just need to get myself a tool.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Make sure you get a freewheel removal tool, not a cassette lockring tool. They look almost the same but the latter won't fit in there. The freewheel tool is thinner.

If in doubt take the wheel with you to make sure the thing you're buying will actually fit.

(I speak as someone who ordered a freewheel tool online but was sent a cassette tool instead. Actually I was sent a box of 10 by mistake, so I didn't complain, and distributed them among my cycling acquaintances. I took the wheel to Halfords and their freewheel tool turned out to be correctly described, fitting perfectly)

Useful tip: leave the fully inflated tyre on the wheel. Secure the tool in a bench mounted vice or workmate then fit the freewheel onto the tool. Turn the wheel anticlockwise to unscrew; the tyre will make it much easier to grip.