dropper post minimum height out of seat tube

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am hoping to get a dropper post from my folks as an advanced combined birthday and Christmas (I've come to the conclusion if I'd had a dropper post so my seat wasn't in a xc position riding a downhill-esque trail I wouldn't have ended up in A&E last week and have told them as much as an incentive).

I am considering a Reverb, a fox doss or a KS lev. At the moment the KS Lev is winning the mental weighing up due to the better cable routing for non stealth options. One thing I am struggling with is finding info on the minimum distance between saddle rails and seatpost clamp with the post fully extended. As I probably have 6-8 inches out at the moment I am concerned about fit of the various post. Can anyone enlighten me on these distances? Feel free to weigh in on your opinion of the best post too!

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd say Reverb with right-hand remote upside down on left side of handlebar. Had to bleed mine after 2 years but apart from that it's been spot on.

Just spent a weekend at an event with a couple of thousand riders at least and I'd say over 90% of the droppers I saw were Reverbs (I'm in France but presume it's the same in the UK and across the pond). Gotta make it easier to get spare parts, servicing etc when they have such a massive market share.

On to your question;

"minimum distance between saddle rails and seatpost clamp with the post fully extended" I'm not sure I get what you mean here? When the seatpost is fully extended that will be the distance 'of the drop' Generally 100mm, 125mm or 150mm
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Ferrals
    I meant presumably the outer section has an end bit that needs to be out of the seat tube, for example the ks lev has the bit where the cable attaches so you'll need an inch or so at least sticking out. And there will be the distance from the top of the tube to the clamping point, so I'm guessing that for a 125mm drop you'd need a minimum of say 125 + 25 (clamp) +40 (bottom) =190mm from the top of the seat tube to the saddle rail on your standard post set up to allow the dropper to work properly
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    With 8 inches of post out you will be fine with a 125mm dropper post.
  • Ferrals
    Cheers rock monkey,

For anyone else interested I found the fox drawing: http://www.ridefox.com/img/help/page124-s48aXk/2013_FOX_DOSS_User_Spec_Rev_B.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have been checking this out too - same reasons.

For a 125mm Reverb you need 205mm between rails and top of the seat tube clamp - which I dont have.

The Thomson needs less height it appears and they have a good drawing on their website 009-Dropper-Seatpost-dimension-sketch-for-website-1024x791.jpg

I am set on going for either a 100mm Reverb Stealth or the 125 Covert Thomson - I'd rather have the full 125 range but haven't seen a whole load of info on the Thomson. The KS I can't get discounted so its out (same with Fox but I wouldn't get the fox anyway).
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Ferrals
    Nice one. Why not fox? Apart from the big lever I like the look of them
  • paul.skibum
    Just not a fan of Fox plus the DOSS is the heaviest of the options. I have fox front and rear on my bike (because that's what the build came with) but would rather have RS.
  • Ferrals
    Nice one poah
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I have a LEV and a Reverb. Both are very good and feel about the same in action. But the LEV's cable routing and remote ergonomics are much better for me so I would go for one of those if you can afford it.
  • paul.skibum
    POAH wrote:
    p4pb11025848.jpg

I had measured a 125 Reverb in the shop and that was definitely too high for me - based on the above chart even the 100 is - looks like I am limited to the Fox or the Lev (and the Thomson which isn't on that chart). Thomson it is then as I can get it discounted!

Good find on the chart though!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if the reverb 100mm doesn't fit are you sure your bike isn't too big for you?
  • Ferrals
    I just spoke to the uk distributors for ks lev and the value for the 125 drop is actually 175mm (he measured one while I was waiting). Just as well I have approx 185mm to play with at the mo so the value above would have been no good (uk dist not ordering in the 100mm version).

I'm dead set on the lev now, it seems to be the lightest and has the best none stealth routing. No matter that it will be a couple of months till my shoulder heals I'm excited already!!
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    The Fox Remote is shite