Yorkshire Peeps - Great Yorkshire Bike Ride

BLW
BLW Posts: 96
Anyone doing the GYBR on 21st June? starting at Wetherby and finishing at Filey (70 odd miles)

Anyone camping over in Filey?

I’ve only just found out about it so it doesn’t give me long to enter (I can up the training though and hopefully push through to 70 miles) but as for sponsorship, I'll struggle as I recently did a Charity Bike Ride not so long ago so it’s not like I can go round asking the same people again to cough up again to be to be fair, however I would obviously give a donation instead.

Not sure which bike I’d want to do it on :? , either the RB, nothing spectacular just a Boardman Sport or trugg along on my MTB (Voodoo Hoodoo), I can comfortably do 45 on each so if I increase my miles a bit, I’ll get 70 in, I’m pretty determined.

I was thinking once I get to Filey, rather than asking poor hubby to drive up and collect me, he could drive up anyway and we could camp over for the night which would be nice, with it being a Saturday night, so my question is, is anyone else doing this and if so could anyone recommend a campsite in or around Filey, somewhere clean and nice to chill out, have a BBQ and few beers outside the tent, or close to a nice pub for good bar meal if it's not BBQ weather.

:D

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    As it's a road event I'm not sure why you'd choose a MTB? I haven't done the event but knowing the area and I'm told by friends that it's fairly easy going, a couple of climbs but nothing massive. The biggest issue is that it's a one way ride so you've got to come back somehow!
  • It finishes on a campsite, so that might be as good as anywhere!
  • BLW
    As it's a road event I'm not sure why you'd choose a MTB? I haven't done the event but knowing the area and I'm told by friends that it's fairly easy going, a couple of climbs but nothing massive. The biggest issue is that it's a one way ride so you've got to come back somehow!

Oh right I see, sorry I just thought it was a charity bike ride, I can't of read it properly, although yes I did imagine most people would be on road bikes, given the distance but I thought they might be a few die hards on their MTB's :wink: so I thought I'd ask to prevent me turning up being the only one :oops:

Yeah I know, which is why I thought it would be nice to camp over and have my OH meet me there and we can come back the next day.

I didn't realise it ended on a campsite, I'll have to go back to the website and scan over the details again, does it state which campsite it is?

Thanks anyway for both your feedback.
  • BLW
    That's great, thank you for the link :)
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    I did it a couple of years ago on an 8 speed hybrid with no difficulty but now I have a road bike so I'll be using it this year. It's quite a casual ride so there will be loads of people on hybrids/MTBs but if you've got a road bike I can't see the point. It's quite a fast ride as there are only a couple of significant hills and the last leg to the coast is mostly downhill. The food stops are great. You can have a cooked lunch with cake, crisps and fruit! I probably ate too much last time and the biggest climb (max 17%) is soon after. I have booked transport back so I can't advise on staying in Filey.
  • markhewitt1978
    I've thought about doing it, and even entered last year, but in the end the issue of transport meant I gave it a miss. Maybe next year I'll do it but ride back to the start!
  • mattbabs
    How did people get on? The weather was great for a change except for a bit of a headwind coming into Filey. I'm glad I registered quite early because the queue to leave behind us was massive when we set off. Marshals were excellent as usual and the food/drink stops were efficient and well stocked when we went through. I was on the first bus back so avoided the A64 being closed due to spilled instant mash(!) but had a long wait for my bike has the lorries had to divert. Perhaps by next year I'll be fit enough to ride back.
  • markhewitt1978
    How hilly is the ride? I've often thought about doing the ride and then turning around and coming back, but that's something I could only do if it's a relatively flat course.
  • mattbabs
    It's mostly flat with a couple of short but steep hills. Less than 3000 ft of climbing in 72 miles. The route does a slight diversion into the Howardian Hills to add some climbs so you could probably ride back by an even flatter route.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mattbabs wrote:
    It's mostly flat with a couple of short but steep hills. Less than 3000 ft of climbing in 72 miles. The route does a slight diversion into the Howardian Hills to add some climbs so you could probably ride back by an even flatter route.

It's actually a bit difficult to avoid the Howardians unless you like main road riding and even that gets lumpy. But it's not too long and you are past them and then it's almost pan flat to the end.
    Faster than a tent.......