Like a Bonty XR4 but with tougher side walls...

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
After having shredded both my tyres after a weekend of racing I'm after something similar in size, compound & tread pattern (loose & rocky trails is the name of the game) but tougher...and hopefully not too much heavier.

The Conti (Rubber Queen) Trail King 26" x 2.4 ProTection + Apex seems to fit the bill. How does a Conti 2.4 measure up to a Bonty 2.35? Similar?

EDIT - Conti's site says they're 870g but Bike-Discount says they're 960g :?

EDIT - just noticed a new Bonty tyre, the SE4 (can you guess what the 'E' stands for? :roll: ) heavier than I'd like tbh but has anyone tried them or read anything on them yet?

On a side note, very impressed with the (tubed) Der Kaiser 2.5 on the bigger bike yesterday. Was running them at about 30 and 35 psi and they were spot on on lots of different surfaces
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    can't have wide tyres, strong sidewalls and light weight. add 20-35g for the conti tyre weight from their site
  • felix.london
    Don't believe I asked for a lightweight tyre...just not too much heavier than the XR4 (i.e sub-900g would be nice)

And like I say the new 'Rubber Queen' looks like it fits the bill...on paper at least but wanting to know what the 2.4 Conti sizing is like compared to Bontrager's 2.35 and if there are any other options that I could or should be looking at (like the Enduro Bonty I mention)

Basically what I said in the original post...

Trek Session 8
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I went for the XR4's cause the trail kings were a bit too heavy for my riding. they seem a good alternative though. Protection side walls can be a pain to set up tubeless. not sure on size but they probably come up as advertised
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    2.4 rubber queens are big. As for exact weight, check exact spec ie sidewall type.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Hans dampf super gravity.
  • felix.london
    supersonic wrote:
    2.4 rubber queens are big. As for exact weight, check exact spec ie sidewall type.

Hmm..the 2.35" XR4 is really the Goldilocks size for me :lol:

The Conti webby only shows one version of the RQ 26" 2.4 Black Chilli so think POAH is spot on and Conti have got a 'special' set of scales

As for the Hans Dampf, looks good but I've had real trouble getting Shwalbe tyres on ZTR rims

Trek Session 8
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I was out riding with my mate and he has Hans Damfs on ZTR Flows,tubeless i think,hes had them at Molini for a week,Says theyre the best tyres he has rode with,Im on them,not tubeless and rate them,run them low,although im a skinny fecker,I had the Conti's and swapped for the HD's,kinda similar in size,the 2.4 Conti was bike though,
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • felix.london
    Well they're cheap enough can get them for under £30 from Bike-Discount

Anyone tried the Conti 2.3 Baron? - all the reviews say it's good in the wet but looks like it would hold up in the loose, rocky stuff too. Lighter than the HD and similar price with Apex sidewall (whatever that is) and Black Chili

Trek Session 8
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    If you like the XR4 I'd try out the Enduro version. Fast rolling tyre so doubt the extra weight will be that telling.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • felix.london
    Can anyone give me the real world difference in width between a 2.35" Bonty XR4 and a 2.4" Conti MK2?

Trek Session 8